Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Import & Export Music

I love my playlists. I've added to my starred playlist for about two years now, and I always wonder what I'd do if my playlists were somehow wiped. So how about something that would rest my mind, the ability to back up your playlists to say, a text file containing all your songs, and then you can import your playlist if it somehow goes missing! This would be an ace feature as I see some people are having issues with duplicate accounts and their playlists being wiped.

This would also making sharing playlists between friends even easier!

TL;DR: Let us export our playlists to a text file, and then import our playlists whenever we like.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
Vancata

This is simple functionality request. PLEASE SPOTIFY IMPLEMENT THIS. I need to backup my playlist if I want to switch to a different service.

analoguerob

I'd like to see an option for text export of all my playlists (at once). As others have said, I have no plans to abandon Spotify, I love it, but I've put a lot of work into my playlists and I'd hate for them to vanish in a hacker attack, corporate takeover, stock market crash or server problem.

Essentially our Spotify playlists are now our record collection, and empowering Spotify users by allowing them to catalogue their own record collections would bring considerable benefits to both users and Spotify themselves. It's comparatively simple to implement and it's the right thing to do - please, Spotify, pay attention to this thread and let's see some action on it. Thanks!

steelo

Also, please allow the text only export of the track name, artist, album.. sourced from the playlist itself, not the spotify URL of the track.

I am stuck with 50+ playlists that are all greyed out. 

I've tried to use every tool I can find on the net to export these in bulk (eg. spotizr.com) but because they are linked to a non-existent spotify URL, no tool recognises the tracks. 

I've even tried an online OCR service in an attempt to convert screenshots into text files.. but the results are too sketchy.

Better yet, just fix the darn greyed-out issue by adding an auto search function for re-linking tracks with broken links as mentioned in another idea.  

Wake up spotify. Its a simple request that would benefit millions of your users. What's the hold up?

SubzeroSC

What you could do is:

• Open the playlist you want to export in Spotify
  • Click on any track and press Ctrl+A (on Windows) don't know the Mac OS keyboard shortcut for select all
  • Than open MS Excel (word used to work for me but not lately) and drag the selected songs from Spotify to any of the cells in MS Excel

This should do the trick.

vurt007

totally agree ... I was really surprised how hard it is to move playlists between players / services .. easy of use and features are always popular

roelvroozendaal

you can use the chrome extension to export your playlist calles Spotify Export Playlist by e-kix https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/spotify-playlist-export/mjgficdncadhoohfpnmclnkfljoklobo?h...

and if you want to move your playlist to apple music, use iSpotMusic download from ispotmusic.com (apple only)

spaceships

This is a problem I have run into on multiple occasions. While yes there are ways to export playlist, everything Ive read is a third party solution. The simple ability to collect all of your favorite music on spotify, and then make a list of the songs into a text file could be a lifesaver for many. It would put my mind at ease, it would save lots of time trying to download a silly program that could be dangerous on the internet, just to get a list of all my songs, and not having this tool locally on spotify is rather dissapointing. 

roelvroozendaal

@spaceships sure external party programs can be dangerous. but the time that mac users don’t run virus / malware protection is behind us.

besides that extensions made for chrome have limited access to resources to protect its users. Sure there are ways around it, but I don’t think that companies that have a good track record are going to risk damaging there name that they have carefully build up in the time of their existence. besides that i donwloaded both the tool "iSpotMusic" and use the extension "Export Spotify Playlist" and i cant find any harm in it. other then it works like a charm every time i use it. 

#Spotify #iSpotMusic #ChromeExtension #AppleMusic

SubzeroSC

Here is another neat way of exporting Spotify playlists to plaintext:

http://spotlistr.herokuapp.com/#/export/spotify-playlist

analoguerob

Nice idea, SubzeroSC, thanks for sharing. Could be very useful.

It doesn't solve the main issue in this thread, though, which is that we need a method to export all our playlist data at once. I have several hundred playlists. I don't really want to export them one at a time.

Spotify admins, please don't consider this issue solved, despite all the recent helpful suggestions in this thread. One-at-a-time is not enough.