Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Import & Export Music

I love my playlists. I've added to my starred playlist for about two years now, and I always wonder what I'd do if my playlists were somehow wiped. So how about something that would rest my mind, the ability to back up your playlists to say, a text file containing all your songs, and then you can import your playlist if it somehow goes missing! This would be an ace feature as I see some people are having issues with duplicate accounts and their playlists being wiped.

This would also making sharing playlists between friends even easier!

TL;DR: Let us export our playlists to a text file, and then import our playlists whenever we like.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We've discussed this idea and while it is interesting, we aren't able to prioritize it and don't have any immediate plans to implement this. We will let you know if this changes in the future.

If we do have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

More info on why your idea has been closed can be found here.

Comments
m_d

That's what i currently need!

Liam
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Only ideas with 40+ kudos should have the good idea status.

adriespo

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep we need it 😛

Hi Guys n Gals

Tag problem solved

Well I am pleased to say I have found an answer to getting mp3 tags into a text file and also excel.

I have lost count of the progs I have tried but can seriously reccomend 2 for your tittilation and even consideration.

1. MP3Tag   http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html  excellent for getting tags cddb amazon or MusicBrainz

See attach MP3TAG.PNG (Sorry had to blank some words out for those of a tender age or nervous

disposition)    I   know some tracks are duplicated but this is just to show the layout. Program asks for

donations.

2. MP3 Tag Tools  http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/ This is a freeware program and is just what I needed.

Suggestions>

Make a dummy directory and copy all your mp3's to it. ( could be done one directory at a time but I prefer to   

do   it in one )

Open program select file open directory and cells fill in.

Play around if you wish or click any filename and select all (Ctrl-A) and to export to a text file right click

anywhere in highlight and click export. asks for a name and location.

Open Excel select data tab and get external data. Select third icon from left (From Text) select file from export

and Bob is your Grannies Aunt.

This may seem a bit long winded but it does not take very long and you end up with a full tag. Great for    

catalogue and searching. All I have to do now is creat a front end if I can remember how.

Good luck to all ( Beer donations gratefully accepted )

Keith

EDIT

Sorry cant see how to add attachment but screenshots on both web sites ( yes I am a dum dum)

lkrulik

Permalink - I was able to load your app when where it says 'drop a playlist here' I can't drag a playlist, paste a URI, ect...  How can I get that to work?

geted

Hi all,

I updated my application to export playlists in flat files.

You'll see the result here : http://blog.geted.info/index.php?post/2012/08/10/Export-de-playlist-au-format-CSV-pour-Spotify

Post is in french but the install section is in english.

@lkrulik : fixed this problem in this new version 😉

Note : you must have a developer account to run this application!

rudboyklng
for winamp user i recomend this workaroud: install add-on: "Save playlist in order to mp3 player V4" You're now able to save the playlist tracks in a separate folder and then add them to your spotify playlist. takes some time but works
markkuj

Import would be a good start. Music lovers have tons of special m3u-playlists and it's booring to keep changing the audio player all the time form Spotify to Foobar/Winamp/etc just becouse Spotify doesn't support simple m3u's.

mlp

Not allowing us to export our playlists is criminal. I really don't know how you sleep at night.

trgdr777

My playlists are too important to not have a text backup. I'm starting to do this manually now, but it's such a hassle for a feature that should really be mandatory in any music app like this. It's hard to trust apps that keep all the users' data inside the app without an easy way to export. I love the app and have no plans of switching to another service, but I wouldn't want to feel like I'm being punished if I ever needed to.