Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Facebook] Remove Facebook from a Facebook created Account

A lot of people who initially made their account with Facebook wish to deactivate their Facebook accounts, but if they do so they will also loose access and all data they got over the years of their Spotify account, since it was created using their Facebook details. 

There should be an easy way to change your Spotify account, from a Spotify account which is tied to Facebook, to a Spotify (email only) account without deleting and creating a new Account, and especially without losing your listening history and suggestions - which is why a lot of people even use Spotify.

Updated on 2020-03-09

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here!

No worries, if your Spotify account was created using a Facebook profile that is now deactivated, you can still access it. There's more information on how to do this here

Keep in mind that doing so shouldn't affect your listening history or suggestions.

For this reason, we'll be marking this ideas as implemented.

However, if you have questions or need more help, don't hesitate to give us a shout in the related Help Board - we'll be happy to lend a hand there.

Cheers!

Comments
jacketboy

From what I've seen, I can create an username/password based logon despite having created the account with facebook.

I requested a password reset. It emailed me one, I assume based on the email associated with my facebook account.

But it still seems to pulling my username and image from facebook, and still appears to linked to my facebook account in some way.

I'm going forward with deactivating my facebook account.

How can you not, especially with people increasingly wanting off of facebook, not have a way to transition an account from a facebook linked account to an email/password based one without deleting one account to replace it with a whole new account.

This feature should exist, and should be simple enough to use (and implement).

Spotify forced some of their customers to create their accounts via Facebook (this was the case e.g. in Germany).

There was just no way to create your account otherwise (except logging in from another country - e.g. via VPN - which I did not use by the time).

It should simply be possible to revoke that enforced choice whithout repressions (like loosing all your data - listening routines...). At least this is my understanding of customer care... maybe not so much that of Spotify.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Since this issue hasn't been solved for years  and since this enforcement was done in the first place I assume there is some business entanglement with "THE FACE" still influencing Spotify policies.

Katerina
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-03-09

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here!

No worries, if your Spotify account was created using a Facebook profile that is now deactivated, you can still access it. There's more information on how to do this here

Keep in mind that doing so shouldn't affect your listening history or suggestions.

For this reason, we'll be marking this ideas as implemented.

However, if you have questions or need more help, don't hesitate to give us a shout in the related Help Board - we'll be happy to lend a hand there.

Cheers!

clasku

Today I tried to disconnect my Spotify Premium account from Facebook, I followed the instructions on this page https://support.spotify.com/it/account_payment_help/account_help/using-spotify-with-facebook/

When I logged back in, my Premium Account was no more Premium and I was proposed to subscribe to Premium (3 month free)...

Well, thanks for the offer! But if you cannot totally match an account created via Facebook with another one disconnected from Facebook created via your instructions, I think that I'm going to pay twice the Premium fee in the next months and to lose all my playlists and music history.

Spotify, please, try to fix this. I'm not a developer, but I can't believe that you are not able to match an email address to join some informations...

Ah, yes... I can also login using Facebook... I think this is a feature (... a bug...) very useful...

ThisAlissa

So I was able to keep my account after I deactivated my Facebook which is great, but is there a way to update my username from the string of numbers that now appears, or update my email, as the one I gave Facebook 10+ years ago is outdated? 

jacketboy

Katerina,

This is not implemented. It's the same as it has been over the past number of years. While we have the ability to break the link between Facebook and Spotify, we don't get a normal account based on our email and password.

You end up with a username that is just a numeric ID, and you cannot change it to something you prefer. You also cannot change the user thumbnail photo (avatar) associated with the account, or the email, birthdate, password... When you edit your account information, all of the fields remain disabled.

The only control that is enabled and change be changed on that page is the "Share my registration data with Spotify's content providers for marketing purposes."

So this is NOT implemented. This is the same state of affairs that this problem was in, over a year ago. Until we can set our usernames and edit our emails and passwords, and other basic information that was previously pulled from Facebook, then the issue isn't fixed.

geekyvalkyrie

I have been a premium member since 2014. My account is tied to a Facebook I've kept since 2009. I would bay an obscene amount to clone my Spotify data and migrate to a new non-FB-integral account.

I'm unwilling to deactivate/destroy more than a decade of FB history, and I can't imagine how long it will take me to manually migrate 6 years of top-tier heavy user (~300 hrs/month) Spotify data. The fact that these remain my only options after this long feels patently ridiculous. Nothing lasts forever, and especially now, as FB is raked across the coals time and again for questionable policies and practices, I am anxious over what I will do when faced with FB's dissolution. 

Please consider offering something like a "Migration Token." If scripting it on the back end is nigh impossible, I'd be happy with something as simple as a paid service that automates the user-end process of copying every playlist and liked song or artist to a 2nd account. It can be $50 or even $100 for all I care. It can be a "buy the token now, we'll cue your account, and send you an email when the process is finished" situation. 

Please, I'm begging you.

I know it's my fault for trusting my music library, which chronicles my life's memories and feels like an extension of my soul, to an online subscription service. I'm just so frustrated and brokenhearted that something so precious to me seems to mean so little to the folks I entrusted with it. 

crofootn

How has this feature request been implemented!?
The Help page makes no sense. The supposed steps don't fill me with any confidence at all that it will actually work. Then on the help page that is suppose to step us through doing this it says "You can’t disconnect from Facebook on mobile or tablet." Uhhhhhh. So if I have a premium family account where most of the family users are on mobile devices, how does this even remotely solve the problem?
I've been using Spotify since it first became available and signed up when the only option was through Facebook. Over that time, my listening history has created some really good Discovery 
recommendation as well as created a large number of followed artists. The thought of losing that would make me never come back to Spotify if this proposed shoddy way of decoupling from Facebook caused me lose any of that.
Why is this so hard? Seriously. No fathomable way that it's really this hard.
You all must have signed some contract from **bleep** with Facebook way back in the beginning that would bury you in breached contract lawsuits if you implemented this highly requested AND easy to do feature. No other plausible reason for the failure to provide this for all the users that have stood with you for years and years.

danger_moose

It is an absolute sham that this is still unresolved, and no it is not "implemented" you just updated the idea as such so that you can continue to ignore your own failures as a company. It is incredibly obvious that no one at your company cares about this issue or really any user issue for that matter as this has been a persistent problem for the past decade with no solution- and don't tell me ya'll dont have the time or money to do so, I have literally paid someone's yearly salary by now and I know there are thousands of other premium users who have paid you as well.

If this issue isn't resolved within a year I am leaving Spotify.
-a very **bleep** client of 8 years

danger_moose

I meant to say monthly salary but alas even your help forums are broken and inconsistent, not allowing me to edit my reply.