[Google Home] Family Plan should work with multiple Users and Speakers

This is driving me crazy, and there are a few similar threads out there, but Spotify and Google need to figure out a solution to this ASAP. 

My wife and I have a Spotify family plan - each with our own accounts. We also use a range of google home products and google assistant, each with our own username linked to our own individual Spotify family plan account. 

You’d think we could each listen to music on different google home speakers, just as we can on different mobile devices or computers. But no, no matter which users makes a request to a google home mini, it links to my username.

As a result, if I’m playing music on a google home device in one room, and my wife wants to listen to music on a different google home device in another room, the latest user to request a song will cut off the other - “because the account is being used elsewhere.” But it isn’t. We have two separate accounts under one family plan. 

Similarly if my wife starts Spotify through a google home device, and I leave the house and want to listen to music in the car on my mobile device, it steals her broadcast - so she cannot listen any longer inside or I cannot listen in the car. Again, this makes no sense. We have two separate Spotify accounts (under a shared family plan) and two separate google home user accounts. Both are linked to each other. 

There should be no digital rights violation here, as we use this Spotify functionality all the time with our mobile phones or computers. What gives Spotify and Google? Please fix this ASAP!!!

Updated on 2019-04-30

Marked as new idea.

Comments
hawkmankt

I agree. This is so frickin' frustrating. 

I'm knee deep in "Anderson .Paak" and my daughter upstairs wants to listen to some Queen and...you guessed it. I'm **bleep**.

TonyD_123
Casual Listener

Seriously. 

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-04-30

Marked as new idea.

Casual Listener

Something similar used to happen to me but it resulted the problem was that Google Home didn't recognise the voices - we recorded our voices again with our smartphones and now the problem is gone. Is this the same issue?

rblumenstock

This is the most infuriating thing. We pay for a Family account but it doesn't work properly with our Google Home. This morning my wife was listening to music. Our son just left for school (he is on the Family plan too) and he listens to music on Spotify on his way to school. When he started listening to Spotify in his car it kicked my wife off at our house. This is not the first time this has happened. We have also noticed that we are getting songs of other family members in our feeds or recommended etc. Please fix this ASAP. It's not a Family plan when you get kicked off using your Google Home and someone is using the plan in the car.