Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
Ubudeco

Reports are that Spotify spies on all your music in all your collections. This and they cannot have decent basic software.

turophobe

Yes.  You used to get a full view of songs in the desktop client, too.  Now you get folders in the desktop and a full view in Android.  Also, the starred playlist doesn't support double click to find the current song, nor can it be written by the API.  The starred playlist is a relic from the time Spotify was focused on improving the core product as opposed to gradually crippling it.

[Goes back to patiently waiting a Google family plan or an Apple Android client.]

SteveLewis

I'll also add my vote to the ability to allow more than 10,000 songs in my library. In a time where cloud services are continually expanding the amount of  data and services provided, a limit like this just makes no sense. I keep getting the impression that Spotify is making some large assumptions about the way that their service is best used. 

ishermandom

"We've recently reviewed this internally and at the moment we don’t have plans to extend the Your Music limit. The reason is because less than 1% of users reach it."

What is being measured, exactly, in that statistic?  My "Your Music" library is nearly empty, because of this limit... even though my Starred playlist far exceeds the limit -- it has 20,896 songs in it.  Does the 1% calculation include users like myself, who are simply working around this issue by using a different playlist (folder) to contain their songs?  If not, it's possible that the true number of affected users is higher than the metric suggests.

SubzeroSC

We've recently reviewed this internally and at the moment we don’t have plans to extend the Your Music limit. The reason is because less than 1% of users reach it. The current limit ensures a great experience for 99% of users instead of an "OK" experience for 100%.

Hahahaha that is funny as hell. What kind of a service has issues with just 10 000 records of a data ;). I can only imagine the spaghetti code your service uses as a platform. Now I know why a lot of basic features are missing or are bugged for ages.

xebetche

Hello,

As you or may not agree, 10k is a very low value for the number of songs that a user is able to save into your music. Although you may consider that the majority of users do not save that much songs into their libraries, the truth is that there are a LOT of music fans that LOVE to have their libraries organized and very complete. The whole idea of paying for a Premium account is not to have this type of limitations.

However, I believe that the majority of the fan base understands the technical limitations of having such a huge amount of connections on your database. That said, with technology such as Redis and Cassandra you're definitely able to do it. Additionally, you've a lot of developers inhouse to take care of this and you also already had the time to improve this limitation. You're not a startup and you should be able to deal with this.

That said, I really hope that very soon this limitation is being removed or, at least, upgraded.

Also, it's very frustating to add dozens of albums and realized a few weeks later that these albums were not added to my library. Unless I haven't noticed, there's not a single warning mentioning that I've reached a 10k limit of saved songs.

Showing errors and limitations is always bad in terms of experience for the user and the service, but not informing me at all is highle frustating.

Hope you can improve this.

João

SteveLewis
Agreed. Not receiving a warning that the maximum number of songs had been
reached caused me a lot of trouble. I kept trying to add the same songs and
albums over and over, each time thinking I had succeeded.

The feedback from spotify to the community is really lacking. Some of these
problems would be easier to accept if we could hear from the product
managers once in a while about how these problems are being addressed. Time
to grow up and start acting like a company with a paying customer base that
have other options.

rod_law
I've become to used to Spotify that I'm finding alternatives unfamiliar despite my determination to go elsewhere due to their stance on the track limit. Until Apple Music drops on Android I am adapting how I use Spotify to try and free up some space. So far this has involved deleting older albums i will always remember so can search at any given moment. The problem lies with all the albums that maybe aren't at the forefront of my regular listening habits that I still want to remember rather than delete and possibly never listen to again.
SubzeroSC

Btw guys do not forge that the limit is not specifically 10k it can easily be lower. I contacted Spotify about this and was told that the limit is based on not the count but rather some other metric meaning you can easily hit the limit at for example 9k.

SubzeroSC

I do not see how the current experience is measured to be "great experience". In the desktop application opening the "Artists" or "Albums" section of "Your Music" take around 30 seconds and most of the times it cant even load at all. This is with my library currently having 3000 songs. How does this fall into an "great experience".

The only "great experience" is with mobile but the story is a lot easier there where applications usually use a ListView control which can handle "x" times the 10k limit without any code required from Spotify.

Will you at least fix the pathetic performance of your desktop application if you are not going to allow us to save more songs. Having load times above 1 minute or worse when accessing the limited Your Music" sections on PC with 32GB of ram is just a joke. And telling us:

The reason is because less than 1% of users reach it. The current limit ensures a great experience for 99% of users instead of an "OK" experience for 100%.

makes it even worst as we do not have an "great experience" we do not even have the "OK experience". Here is a screencast of what you call "great experience", note the HUGE time load when switching between the "Your Music" sections.