Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
melizabeth8

For non-subscribers (who also help Spotify make money by enduring commercials), the current 100 song limit on playlists and 50 song limit in "my songs" is soon to cause this patron to move on to a different service. 

gr33nmind

I realize that this is a liitle off topic, but answering melizabeth8's post, Spotify obviously doesn't wan't to keep customers, both paying, & add listening. They also are kind of ripping off there advertisers.

For example. Spotify has access to everyones Facebook data, includng likes. Still unlike adds I get on Facebook that are clearly tailored to my taste, Spotifies' adds are in no way ttargeted towards me. I'll get adds for feminine toiletry products, adds in Spanish, adds for boy band pop music, and adds for Spotify premium. I am obviously not Spanish, a woman, and considering I already recieved a free trial and didn't sign up, I'm not interested in Premium. Also considering my library has no boy bands, and is mostly Jam bands, & adult alternative, how would an add for that kind of music interest me. I just tried to find an example of another add they use, so I just tried to skip songs to find an add. I skipped through probably 50 odd songs, and never found an add.

Granted I obviously don't mind, that I couldn't find an add, but companies spending money on Spotify advertising probably should. There ripping off both there customers, and there advertisers alike. Meanwhile there CEO's are raking in profits from there 50 million paid customers.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2017-09-06

Hey folks, we're back to give this idea a bit of an update. 

As we've previously said, less than 1% of users are reaching this Your Library limit. The current limit ensures a great experience for 99% of users instead of an "OK" experience for 100%. 

We've kept a close eye on your feedback though and we agree if a solution for this could be met it would be beneficial for everyone. While this isn't in our current timeline we're changing this to "Good Idea" and we'll update you if we have any info. Thanks!

scottan32
@Anamon Fair enough, that is a bit of a hole in my theory. Still, the fact is Spotify have never turned a profit, so there must be some hole missing in the finances. If they had complete control over the amount they paid to record companies, and could split that based on the ratio of streams in each region, they would be turning a profit already. There must be some costs record companies have negotiated, either on a per-stream basis or just to have access to their back-catalogues, which is keeping Spotify from making a profit. Or perhaps other high overheads associated with the computational maintenance and servers (although I would have thought that was small compared to royalties). Either way, it definately looks like Spotify's interest is to attract new users over improving the experience for existing users.

The only that will change is if we start voting with our feet, so if this angers you vote on this thread, cancel your Spotify subscription and make a statement on hear that you are doing so because of this limit. 
Synoptikal

Sorry Meredith, but the 1% thing still doesn't cut it. While I am glad you've upgraded this to a "good idea", the fact that you're offering a "great experience for 99% of users instead of an "OK" experience for 100%" means you're missing the point.

Upping the limit WOULD ensure a great experience for 100% of the users because those who need it can keep adding to their library and those who don't reach it can carry on using the service safe in the knowledge that they can add loads more music to their collection. That, to me, sounds like a great experience for 100% of users, no?

scottan32
@Meredith PLEASE just sort this out Spotify! I’m sorry but you’re comment today has answered none of the questions raised on this thread, and sheds no more light on the reasons behind this limit. This was a good idea in 2014 when it was first raised, and it is still no clear why this would be a bad experience for the other 99%, especially given that ALL of the other music streaming platforms (i.e. you're very serious competition) can accommodate a higher limit!

For the record, I am in the process of setting myself up on Google Music now, and plan to cancel my Spotify subscription once my free trial at Google is over. After a couple of weeks playing with it, I have to say I prefer the service Spotify provides. I prefer its interface, on both Mac computer and Android phone; I think its music recommendation tools are better; Spotify has a better back-catalogue for obscure, underground and experimental music which I love - both in terms of music I like and in it supporting new music; and I prefer how it arranges artists pages to look through their albums, singles, biography and concerts. But I am still going to move over because of this 10k limit, which effectively makes all those great features redundant. I am literally begging you to give me a reason to stay - please just fix this issue!
Jalok
4 years to upgrade from "not now" to "good idea"?! Hope it would not take
another decade to finally put this hard limitation down. Also, how can
Spotify treat a million of their subscribers just as a percentage point?
noidontwantto
Thanks for the update, Meredith!

As a reminder, Google, Apple, and Amazon all think larger libraries are a
"good idea," too!

In fact, they think it's such a good idea that they ALREADY SUPPORT larger
libraries... always have!

Google: 50,000 songs
Apple: 100,000 songs
Amazon: Unlimited songs
Spotify: Embarrassingly, inexplicably, unaccountably, unshakably small (10k)

These other services are all available for the same price as Spotify, and
have roughly the same catalog. Since I switched to Apple Music, I've found
the catalog's actually better there for certain labels and artists.

Prediction: This thread will reach 400 pages and the library limit won't
have increased. Meanwhile, Apple Music is improving every day... when is
the last time you improved a core feature, Spotify? Was it the "running"
feature 🙄? Was it the giant "shuffle" button at the top of every album
that's ridiculous for paying users?

How one might actually express to users that this "good idea" is likely to
change, benefitting the most devoted music-listening users (and also the
whiniest, e.g. me): Change the error message from "Epic collection, friend"
to something that's not obnoxious, like "You've reach the 10k song limit,
but we're working to change that! Sit tight! We're as embarrassed and upset
about it as you are, and we promise that the designer who wrote the 'Epic
collection, friend' message (which shows on mobile and desktop app but
doesn't even show on the web player where 'add to library' just fails
silently, oops our bad!) has been tortured to death."
Remy

I've been using spotify for 7 years - and now my I have hit the limit. What am I supposed to do now?