Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
jpm-178

Honestly, this seems more like a bug in their system than a conscious decision. I can't think of any other reason to restrict it, and it would explain why Spotify won't give a reason why 10,000 songs are the limit, since they might not know either, and instead of figuring out how to fix it they just decide to say "eh screw them" and moved on.

herrkunstler
I have trouble believing that they have a bug that limits the library size
to a number like 10,000. 10,000 is the kind of number someone picks on
purpose. Someone who thought people only wanted a version of Pandora with a
green icon...
gr33nmind

@coopercassell, that's exactly what I'm saying. Spotify screwed up. Still I'm not going to post a sceenshot, and bring it to there attention.

Defenitily need unlimited space for paying subscribers.  I would assume our personally libraries are nothing more than an index or something akin to a file directory on a computer.  In those circumstances the index simply tells the OS where to go rather than actually storing the same file over & over again for each user.

As such, for those of us who have large volumes of music libraries simply have a larger index.  There is no duplication or partition of actual files.  As such, only minor capacity related to small index files.  

Why truncate are the individual who pays for the service or simply have another tier of fee based service?

Considering there's likely no great technical reason why Spotify can't offer larger libraries (unless the software is really, really poorly put together), my suspicion that it has to be a business reason. Whenever something doesn't seem to make sense, follow the money.

Record labels are still concerned about piracy, so they don't want people to have truly unlimited download options available. Almost all streaming services available let you download files for offline use, but they also have some sort of limit - i.e. 3 downloads of each file. Remember, you can only download files saved in your library. You cannot download files that aren't saved, only stream them.

My assumption is that whatever deals Spotify has negotiated with record labels limit their users to 10,000 songs each, and they'd probably have to pay out a bigger chunk of change to increase that limit. Spotify isn't tied to a massive corporation like Apple or Google, nor is it quite so hungry for market share - thus it doesn't have limitless pockets nor the business need to simply pay what the record labels want. It's also not 2014 anymore - now that the competitors offer pretty comparable services at the same price point, and have a growing userbase, Spotify likely can't negotiate from as strong a position. It's also possible it would have to consider giving up other features that more users enjoy or depend on in exchange for increasing that limit.

When Spotify answers saying that it doesn't want to make the service worse, I think this is what is being alluded to. Increasing the limit wouldn't harm any users directly, but the cost potentially means that Spotify has to make other sacrifices elsewhere, either in terms of features or simply in terms of a hit to their bottom line. Right now, Spotify can afford to bleed that very small slice of users who choose to abandon ship, but it still isn't profitable. Put simply, the business case likely doesn't add up, even if it's the "right" thing to do for the users.

derekm3

I've been a Spotify premium subscriber for over two years now and haven't had an issue with the service until -- just last week -- I hit my limit of 10,000 songs. I'd love to be able to save more and continue to catalog my favourites, which will help me remember which songs I like from particular albums and artists, and more. Given Spotify's recommendation algorithms, it will also help expose me to more new music in the vein of what I like.

In the status update above from 09-06-2017, a representative states that less than 1% of users are reaching this limit. I would argue that these are the more devoted, dedicated music fans who were more likely to be say, early adopters of Spotify and are more dedicated to the premium model where Spotify makes its money. To dismiss their concerns as 'the needs of the few' seems to be quite dismissive and counterintuitive to how a business should treat its (theoretically) 'best' customers. In short, Spotify should want to cater to these more dedicated music fans as they are literally the users who engage with the service more; they should be essential to the company's business.

It shouldn't be difficult to accommodate these users who have reached their limit by removing the cap -- is there an engineering, bandwidth or storage issue preventing this?

Xeltron245

One would have to wonder why you put a limit in the first place, can't see how can be record companies given that access to the internet means unlimited anyway so not a huge amount of difference

Spottypietje

Please give an updated response Spotify. It is outrageous you are treating your most loyal users this way. I have Product Management experience in a startup, and to me this feels like a 'random' treshold a dev put in while developing the feature to avoid spamming. It is also something that can literally be fixed in a few minutes if your codebase is not a complete minefield. Please explain us the exact reasoning why the treshold is there, or if there is none, please invest a little work and love to make the experience good enough for your 1% most active users.

Kind regards,

A desperate, long time Spotify user

metrotrophy

I can not believe after finally making the switch from Apple music to Spotify...after spending almost 6 hours making sure my collection of music from Apple music was successfully transferred manually to enjoy my music....I get a snarky "Epic music collection" message telling me I can't add/save more music!!!! Absolutely crazy and I will never ever forgive the time I wasted on your service....I am so shocked and upset and absolutely leaving if there is no work around....It took a while to convince me to try Spotify after being happy with Apple music and now this....so disappointing!

No friendship here or for anyone receiving that message I can assure you.
rednblu

Yes-- that snarky Epic message is-- shaking head with disbelief Crazy.

No-- You don't have to "delete" anything--

The fatal bug in the Spotify player is not the limitation on the total tracks that you can "save"-- because my friends each have over 250,000 tracks-- I have over 110,000 tracks myself just in one unified library that contains classical and rap and atmospheric ocean sounds and short burlesque ads in whatever language you speak for fun-- and I have lots of smaller music libraries, such as dance and . . . .

But each one of us here with those "big enough" music collections had to make several easy "user programming fixes" ourselves to get access to the splendid music archives in Spotify.

So we all commiserate and grieve with you in your disbelief and despair. . . .  And we all share your shock and upset . . . .  And we all wish that Spotify would do the right thing and make its cosmic music archives easily available-- but Spotify won't do that . . . .  We all had to make our own "user programming fixes" to the fatal bugs in the Spotify players to get the good music--

The uplifting path from all of this sorrow is that there are many options available for you-- starting with the "user programming fixes" cataloged under the Spotify Reddit Wiki . . . .  Or alternatively, iApple would like to hear from you.  But we have all tried all of those other streaming services . . . .  (I laugh,)   They don't have the music.

Have you seen that new movie mother!

It's kind of like that . . . .