Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
ih8spotify

Just finished migrating over from Apple Music, and then hit this limit... Guess I'm migrating back

Ctrlaltdelete20

I too have reached my download limit. My favourites playlist alone takes out half of the allocated allowance of 3333. I download because of foreign travel and don't want to be using data. Streaming also uses more battery life than downloaded songs.

What's the point in paying for this service if that's the case? Might as well go back to standard mp3 players 

i jsut left spotify, they have not changed this policy in 2 years. i let my wallt talk. ill be giving goole play a try (the library seems to be just as good, im only missing 2 albums that were available on spotify)

AndyKillen

I have a much more simple solution that waiting on Spotify to do anything.  We apply pressure to the record companies worldwide to force spotify to realise what a passion music is and limiting to 10,000 tracks is aberrant.

Any thumbs up or agreement on this and I'll start a 'Sum of Us' campaign, and get all of the addresses of the major record labels and music distributors. When they realise it is cutting into their bottom line, the appropriate pressure will no doubt be applied.

So, who's with me. 

mikesmartt
Good idea - but I assume the 10k limit is precisely to do with the record
companies and was originally negotiated with them,
tavasti

Most likely big record companies trust that if limit is low, their music is what is picked to that limited space. If there is room for more, then even small, indipendent artistis may get some listening. (you can get your music to spotify without any record company)

rrudolphjr

@user-removed did the same. there have been two albums that aren’t on Google Play that were on Spotify. But I have also found many more things at Google Play that weren’t at Spotify.

noidontwantto
It's not obvious that the record companies have anything to do with the 10k
Spotify library limit... all the other music services (Google, Apple,
Amazon, Deezer, etc) work with the same record labels and don't have the
limit. I've contacted some record industry-types for their opinions and
they assure me that it's unlikely to be a contractual issue.

Here's my detailed examination of the reasoning behind the limit:
https://medium.com/@aloomba/epic-collection-friend-37fdacf4df54

Regardless, I'm happy to support any campaigns that raise awareness and
stick thorns in Spotify's side on this matter.

Right now the most effective thing IMO is simply to leave the service. I
ended my years-long paid subscription over this issue about six months ago
and have been very happy with Apple Music. At this point, even if they fix
this issue, I'm probably not coming back.

The truth is I don't see a bright future for Spotify. Music streaming has
been commoditized and bundled with things like Prime, YouTube, or the
purchase of a new iPhone. Spotify doesn't have an edge anymore, and it
seems to me that any recent growth in their subscriber numbers has come
from partnerships that offer discounted subscriptions.

The 10k limit won't be what does them in eventually, but it's a clear sign
they're no longer leading the way on music consumption. Sad because it was
such a great service when it first launched, but I'll be surprised if we're
still bitching about its limitations in five years... I'll be surprised if
they're even around and independent in five years...
Anamon

A question to those who have also already cancelled their Spotify Premium subscription over issues like this: did you get any chance to tell Spotify why specifically you cancelled? Like a feedback form after you pressed that button?

I agree that cancelling is really the only way to make Spotify understand that people are not just on these forums for fun, but that they care about the problems raised, and that they impact their enjoyment of the music and, worst case, make them look for and switch to other services.

I was not offered an opportunity to comment on why I cancelled, I suspect it's because I paid through a partner company and had to press the 'Cancel' button on the partner's website. I did tweet to SpotifyCares about my reasons, and they did send a personal response, but I understand that it might be less effective since they can't directly link it to the fact that my account was actually cancelled. I assume Spotify Cares is a different team and not the right people to forward feedback like that.

davebelling
Nah. No message. Moved the family to Goggle Play. YouTube Red is a bonus.
F*ck the Spotify. Not coming back.