Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Integrate HTML5 with play.spotify.com

With the new Xbox one coming out and it not supporting flash, I believe Spotify needs to revamp their play.spotify.com site to support HTML5 also, flash is a bit old, isn't it? I think this will greatly improve the experience on the site as well. <br><br>Thank you.

Updated on 2017-11-10

Hey everyone! We can confirm this very popular idea is now fully implemented.  The new Web Player uses HTML5 technologies solely. Thanks for your continued feedback in the Idea Exchange!

Comments
RackoWacko

My employer does not allow Flash on our computers.  Therefore I am unable to use the current Spotify web player on my work computer. Please make the change to html5.

loominade

google play music works without flash

Juanito_Estup

Please change. Flash is anachronistic and a serious security threat.

elaventurero

I use Linux OS, and I don't want install flash player from adobe because they are so lacy to support it for Linux users and they abandoned it...

Netflix, can play their video protected with DRM and all through HTML5 technologies... Spotify's guys says they can't protect the audio with HTML5 and for that they use Adobe... Shame.... It's because they don't want make an effort to get it and for Linux users it would be great to have Spotify Web Player in HTML5.

And yes, it has an debian version installer... but, it's flavourless, because there are Fedora users to that want play Spotify. So if you only distribute an Ubuntu package (.deb), then it is a problem.

So, I'm not gonna to install Adobe Player. And I'm not gonna to download the Ubuntu version installer (or debian)... Bye.

Hey Spotify...have you thought about switching Spotify to Quicktime? Just thinking that another obsolete security disaster might just appeal to you.

Get off **bleep**ing Flash, will you?

PS While you're at it, let me opt out of playing explicit songs...I've got kids.

royalbingbong

How is a HTML5 player still not a thing on Spotify? You guys still developing for IE6 in mind or what?

quaristice

Chrome's my browser of choice - hopefully this will finally encourage Spotify in the right direction.

https://www.infoq.com/news/2016/05/chrome-flash-html5

C'mon guys. HTML5's been enabled in GPM since 2012...

gtirloni

Please stop requiring Flash for the Web Player.

dkwestbr

If you guys don't add support for HTML5 I'm going to start using another service.  It is ridiculous that you guys cost as much as Netflix to deliver cheaper content than movies and you have a website built on something the rest of the tech world moved on from four years ago.

meauxable

Also let's not forget, the falsh player works like **bleep**
there are always torrents.

And as Gabe Newell said; piracy is because of a service problem.