Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Browse] Bring back like indicator on album/playlist

Spotify just decided to remove the most useful feature of likes—the ability to see which songs you've liked in albums and playlists. I used likes to see which songs I've listened to before, which songs I've liked, which albums I like more than other albums, etc, etc. And now all it does is spit the song into a giant, undifferentiated "likes" playlist. Bring back likes! What purpose does it serve to remove them except make the experience worse for long-time, loyal users?

Updated on 2023-02-20

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Tadashichigo

BEGGING for the heart back. The heart was my way of categorizing albums and now with it gone I have no clue what to do. The new system of adding to playlists and all that is fine but I need a symbol for liked songs! 

kopurando

I really wonder why instead of implementing ANY good idea from this community, Spotify suddenly decided to remove something useful?? Someone must be fired over most recent updates, and 1/2 decade of a dormant product that Spotify was with literally 0 useful additions. Now they began removing good stuff. Who the **bleep** makes decisions like this, some Apple spy who tries to turn Spotify into Apple Music-like abomination? 

More ideas I've stolen from Apple for you guys:

- remove search autosuggest

- remove swiping gesture from covers and mini-player

- add stupid useless "Add to library button". Oh wait.. 

ZackSkellington

Agreed! It is so frustrating when they change something so basic and essential. Who ever thought this was a good idea??

okapigiraffe

Spotify updates over the past years have really worsened the user experience overall but this one takes the cake for me.

jamestt
BRING BACK THE 💚 BUTTON wth EWWWW LIKED SONGS IS NOT A PLAYLIST DISGUSTED

IF UR READING THIS BRING BACK 💚LIKE BUTTON — IT LOOKED SO GOOD ESPECIALLY WHEN IT FLICKERED DIFFERENT COLOURS AND WAS SATISFYING NOW ITS 0 SATISFACTION AND DOESNT LOOK GOOD — A CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED AND SOMEONE NEEDS FIRING!!! LIKED SONGS ISNT A PLAYLIST; IT IS LIKED SONGS AND LIKED SONGS ONLY

THIS UPDATE MAKES NO SENSE FOR USER EXPERIENCE — TERRIBLE. HOW ABOUT UPDATING SOMETHING THAT MAKES USER EXP BETTER LIKE ABILITY TO CHANGE PLAYIST PHOTOS ON MOBILE APP OR CUSTOMISE PLAYIST PHOTO — OR ABILITY TO MERGE PLAYLISTS INTO ONE (EXCEPT DUPLICATES) — ALLOW FOR SPOTIFY TO SEPARATE YOUR OWN PLAYLISTS FROM OTHER PPLS PLAYLISTS BY HAVING A SETTING THAT TOGGLES BETWEEN THEM ISOLATING YOUR CREATED PLAYLISTS — INTRODUCE VISUAL AESTHETIC UPDATES LIKE EXTEND THE FLICKERING OF COLOURS WHEN U TAP 💚 OR ADD SOME DYNAMISM TO UI OR EVEN A NEW LOADING SCREEN WHEN SPOTIFY BOOTS UP

STOP BASELESSLY STRIPPING BACK USER FUNDAMENTALS AND TURNING SPOTIFY INTO A BORING SOULLESS SPREADSHEET MUSIC ORGANISER

Jar5

Commenting to get this HEARD! Removal of this was perhaps the most ridiculous update I've ever seen on an app. 

jamestt

In case the devs team doesn’t see my original comments on their idea announcement thread. I’m pasting two comments I had made below. Please refer to original comments if you haven’t already. 

C R A P. That’s all. Trash update that nobody wants. This is a complete misunderstanding of fundamental features of Spotify and its users needs. 

This has blended Likes into the playlist format and it’s now a soulless spreadsheet music organiser where you can’t differentiate between anything anymore. I quite enjoyed liking songs and playlisting songs separately. It was enjoyable to playlist songs I don’t like enough to “Like” just to curate a vibe. It’s like keeping songs at arms length, only Spotify-savvy playlist curators would understand my logic. Or anyone who enjoys curating playlists in order to set the tone for their day.

User experience would be how to make the app more optimal and satisfying for the user. This is less helpful. The ability to merge two playlists into one without duplicates, customise playlist photos on mobile, modernising loading screens, fancy flickering dynamic heart button or other aesthetically satisfying button actions when you tap them, toggle and isolate your own created playlists from others/AI DJs. All of those suggestions I made as examples, focus on bettering the experience for the user.

The 💚 is a fundamental part of the experience for the user and it’s absolutely criminal to strip the soul of Spotify and implement things that don’t actually innovate anything whatsoever.

Final comment that I wish to UGH out of my system: 

Bring back the 💚 you criminals. This is actually the worst update I’ve ever seen to an app, just completely broke the user experience. 

Why not just have both 💚and (+) side by side?!

I haven’t got enough time in my schedule to figure out what is Liked and what isn’t Liked. Why turn the user experience into a full-time job?! Horrid. You should pay me for my opinion.

Looks like you lack functionality solutions there? Do you even UX? What the -expletive- is this. A few under-qualified teenage interns must’ve churned out this god awful idea. 

“We reverted back to ancient times” — yeah good idea, that’s why you’re popular now isn’t it? Because 90% of the app users remember a time they didn’t exist in. Let’s resurrect the godly (+) button, shoot me dead. Nobody asked for reversion to square one and unifying popular features. Through this absorption, you’ve totally blew apart the fundamentals of the UX within Spotify. Please re-hire brighter minds, preferably people who aren’t Apple Music worshipping fanwhatevers.

Build on Spotify’s strengths, don’t dilute them — emphasise them, emphasise the core UX, play alongside it.

I’ll start to participate in the community more so since I’ve only gone out my way to discover this platform as a result of the terrible update. I’ll try to help out, perhaps design some visual notes for you guys whenever I get time because this is ludicrous.

I said previously I commend you for ‘trying’ to break features but rebuild something that replaces it. If it returns in anything other than Liked Songs via 💚, fine. As long as it’s distinguishable, and the same format, since it seems to be more for cosmetic reason than anything else. Albeit, seemingly pointless. I can think of various other visual updates that could be better, although the angle seems to be on-par with rebranding and visual evolution. The app can be progressively better in other areas, way better. If you want ideas, take stock from the community, take the consumer into deep consideration and chalk up refined versions of things you hear and see from the community. Not the from the echo-chamber offices of Spotify chanting ‘let’s make Spotify edgy and featureless’. 

Basic, boring, baseless, UX breaking update. I would check the staff who brainstormed this and their phones, to see if they really use Spotify. I’d suspect they are partial to the app, with a screen time of 1 hour a year.

lenard942

SPOTIFY COMMON! This concern/post has a lot of likes and comments so far! Isn't that enough? BRING BACK THE LIKE INDICATOR JES*S CHR*ST!!!!  FOR G*D SAKE! 

MartiusArchive

This!! I used the heart indicators constantly especially since I mostly listen to albums and not playlists, not being able to see which songs I have liked on albums has really made it harder for me to organize on mobile. Please add a marker!

Lilbilly

Due to your switch in UI making the liked song  and a the check to tell you youve got the song in a playlist just not your liked songs playlist you have messed everything up . Many users use this as a current and running playlist list…now cannot tell if I have the song in my likes songs playlist or just in an album I have saved as a playlist … I can no longer look at an album playlist and see which songs I liked from that album because there is no indication of a heart on songs I liked this is horrible why would you make changes without even using your own app?