Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Browse] Multiple playback queues

With Spotify’s push into podcasts I am routinely switching between music and podcasts. 

This means constantly losing my place in a given playlist or having to navigate back to podcast episode I was mid way through. 

Having the option to have multiple players, with their own queue and controls would eliminate this back and forth problem. 

Idea: long pressing a song, album or podcast should allow the user to “open in new player+”. 

This would pause the current player and begin playing the selected media in a seperate player. The user would now see two seperate players at the bottom of the screen.

Anything the user queues will be added to the top player (which is the currently playing or last played). User can switch the play order by dragging the player position to the top or close a player by swiping to delete (basic iOS list functionality). 

Updated on 2023-02-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Buschmann2009

Gute idee

TenderHeart

I absolutely need this feature to be implemented ASAP if I'm going to keep listening to podcasts on Spotify!

George97

This would be exceptionally useful to make Spotify more compatible with varied auditory media forms.  I imagine this as serving like a bookmark for one's auditory media consumption.

This could have many other useful applications beyond switching between podcasts and music.  For example, if one was in the middle of listening to a lengthy album and could not finish before some social event began that necessitated them playing other music, one could simply open up a new player and play music appropriate for that social event without having to lose their place in that album.  

alinac26

Yes, please! Especially when I am switching back from study music to other music, it sucks when I lose my place in the playlist constantly!!

ro3ale3ira

I've been wanting this too! One of the reasons I use Spotify is because it's a great way to discover new music, but sometimes I queue up more new songs than I have time to listen to. Later that day I might be in the mood for something specific, and I'm forced to either drag everything up the queue one by one, or clear the queue and miss out on stuff I might have liked. 

I'm paying for premium because I want to pick what songs I listen to, in what order. If I relied on playlists I would have to make a new one multiple times a day, and it's just so much easier to manage queues which is why Spotify needs to make this feature more versatile. 

thbertolino

Great idea. Voted!

tt9x1

When you are listening to a playlist, radio, album, etc., it would be nice to be able to pause and save the state of the stream.

Then, you could move away and play different content in a different stream.

The listening histories and procedurally-generated music selections would be different between streams.

When you're done listening on the other stream, you could return to the saved state of your other stream and pick up where you left off (e.g. playlist, radio, album, etc.).

shanespicer73

I love this idea.  How I would like to see it work is kind of like the trip button on your car.  Where you can pick A/B to see different miles on your car.  I think this idea could work very similar with A/B queues.

NYCMetrognome

This is such an elementary idea, it should have happened years ago. Obviously great for toggling between podcasts and music, but could be so much more. It's basically browser tabs for your Spotify. Can you imagine browsing the internet without tabs? I can't. Where I see this being most useful for me is when listening to radio based on a Playlist, and hearing a new artist of interest I'd have the ability to branch off for a few songs if I want, then return to the original radio queue uninterrupted. I really hope this gets implemented 

Caffeinatrix

Yes this!! Also on all platforms - I work from home and some of my work duties benefit better listening to music in the background, since I pretty much always need something playing with ADHD. I was thinking even an optional 'backup queue' that you can trigger on/off that you can choose between playing. I hate having to completely clear my queue to switch to music just to have to re-queue everything when ready for the pods again.