Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Create & manage Playlist Folders

It would be nice to be able to better organize playlists in folders on the mobile apps.  Or at the very least, specify which folder a playlist should go in when it is first created.  Right now, in iOS, any playlists that I create are just added to the main list, without giving the option to put them in a folder, and it is not possible to move playlists to/from folders.  I'm assuming this will be the same on Android when it is implemented.

Updated on 2019-10-29

Hey folks,
We really appreciate so many of you coming to the Community, adding your votes and comments to this idea!
For now we'll be keeping this idea at 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.
Thanks .

Comments
Fred

The ability to organize the music in folders really is a basic requirement. The fact that this is available in desktop doesn't substitute the very obvious necessity of being able to organize new music when one is on the road, at a party or abroad. I am very surprised at spotifys official attitude towards this suggestion. 

finnaqua

Ok, on IOS (iPad) we still can´t organize playlists in folders but, since we can do it on desktop version, the new folders that we organize on desktop wil appear as the same on iPad playlists.

Jc1090

This is f-ing ridiculous. We're in 2014, this is a basic feature music players have supported for over 10 years. More ridiculous still is that you allow users to rearrange songs within a playlist but not the playlists themselves, which shows that the code for changing and updating the order of items on the server is there but you just haven't bothered to enable it on the playlist page.

Saying it's available on the desktop app isn't an excuse; imagine if someone released an iOS/Android mail client with no options except read and reply and all mail arranged alphabetically in one big list, saying "oh but you can organise it on the desktop". Nobody carries a desktop PC around in their pocket, and fewer by the year carry a laptop, especially while commuting or travelling (which is when people listen to music most of the time).

Come on, it would only take a few minutes to program, and would make the app considerably more useful for 90% of users.

beta-d

It should be a priority to implement this feature for your paying customers. There are other streaming services out there and if this feature status remains as 'not right now' I will consider moving even though I love your app. Flexibility under ios is important for many of us, hence the comments from frustrated users. Need I say more? 

BillmcQ

Organisabliity in ipad badly needed, though it is done ok on desktop if you have access. One thing I would like is the ability to import a picture into the group icon... For example a picture of a cello if the group consists of cello playlists etc instead of the boring music notation symbol. At the moment they all look the same. Surely not too difficult.

YoAdriano

Still nothing...and no reply from Spotify devs? I have to leave Spotify becaue of this? Really?

I won't pay for premium until Spotify offers standardization across all platforms; not offering folder functionality on the web player and mobile versions is unacceptable. Get with the times; many users are moving toward Chromebook, tablet and mobile access.  Many homes don't even have PCs any longer and less will in the future.

Zwannes

Agreed!

ataraktos2

Agree with everyone here - this really is basic functionality. If it weren't, it wouldn't have been included in the desktop app to start with.

And it really shouldn't be that hard to add to the app. I find most of my new music on a mobile device but I can't organize any of it until I get to a desktop. That's really pathetic. Especially since people are moving away from desktops in favor of mobile devices. Many may not even use a desktop regularly or own one any more.

Alternatively, drag-and-drop of existing playlists into new ones may work as well. But that's entirely new functionalty and would be harder to code. 

ihateusernames

about time you looked at this again, more and more of us don't use computers, just tablets and phones

@tjb wrote:

It would be nice to be able to better organize playlists in folders on the mobile apps.  Or at the very least, specify which folder a playlist should go in when it is first created.  Right now, in iOS, any playlists that I create are just added to the main list, without giving the option to put them in a folder, and it is not possible to move playlists to/from folders.  I'm assuming this will be the same on Android when it is implemented.