[Mobile] Optimize for long Screens (e.g. Pixel 2 XL)

Hi,

I would like to request optimizing the Spotify app for 18:9 screens, such as on the Pixel 2 XL or OnePlus 6.

Please also understand that not all Android builds are alike, stock Android doesn't have any option to force optimization like the S9 does.

Even though phones with this ratio our out for over a year now, Spotify still didn't update their app to support this, even though Apple Music (Yes yes, Apple, the iOS developer) supports it for a while now and even though Spotify updated the app for the iPhone X within a month.

The optimizing would make the black bar dissapear, which is even more apparent on Android P when entering the multi tasking or lowering the notification shade (screenshots attached).

Also, coloring the navbar a bot would be nice if you'll anyway bring the bottom bar closer to the navbar.

Thanks.

P.S. The fix is extremely easy for your devs:

Insert this line in  the <application> tag of the app manifest.

<meta-data android:name="android.max_aspect" android:value="2:1" />

Screenshot_20180618-181022.png
Screenshot_20180618-181930.png

Updated on 2018-07-19

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
earx_g83r-7w

I have the same issue on LG G7. It's funny how this issue still persists after over a year that long screens have dominated the market of Android phones..

jrdnkasparek
Gig Goer

My issue is the app is horribly not brought up to scale for larger display devices. Even for smaller displays the UI could be better.

1st screenshot(music menu) : The bar at the bottom could be lowered, and the top bar needs to be smaller, shuffle button could be smaller or a smaller icon and should hide away when scrolling down through music as to make room to see more. It could come back into screen when scrolling back up.

2nd screenshot(Now Playing) : The huge gap at the bottom should be much smaller and "devices available" could be made into an icon and not take up so much space, maybe move it next to shuffle or replay. This opens up the possibility of making album art bigger and making it more desirable.

jrdnkasparek
Gig Goer

My issue is the app is not only horribly not brought up to scale for larger display devices but even for smaller displays the UI could be better.

1st Music Menu: The bar at the bottom could be lowered, and the top bar needs to be smaller, shuffle button could be smaller or a smaller icon and should hide away when scrolling down through music as to make room to see more. It could come back into screen when scrolling back up.

2nd Now Playing : The huge gap at the bottom should be much smaller and "devices available" could be made into an icon and not take up so much space, maybe move it next to shuffle or replay. This opens up the possibility of making album art bigger and making it more desirable.

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2018-07-19

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Emmanuel_Neri
Casual Listener

I have the same problem with my Moto g 6

jonas1210

So this idea has 100 Votes so just do it!

Why is Spotify just ignoring facts that there are paying consumers using Android 18:9 screens and you just don't optimize the app? On iPhone x they would just be blamed if they didn't fix it and therefore they fixed it within a month. Such nasty developers, shame on you. 18:9 is so old and still no update!

Emmanuel_Neri
Casual Listener

Spotify is still ignoring us, please update the app for Android for 18:9 screens, there are many people with this problem

RadioStream
Casual Listener

I am truly shocked that this was still not fixed so we got to 100 votes.

One **bleep** sentence. Probably easier than fixing it for the stupid one iPhone X. This is a fix for numerous devices.

earx_g83r-7w

@RadioStream wrote:

I am truly shocked that this was still not fixed so we got to 100 votes.

One **bleep** sentence. Probably easier than fixing it for the stupid one iPhone X. This is a fix for numerous devices.

So am I!! Apparently all they know is how to suck up money!

frabo
Casual Listener

Many small time apps have fixed this a long time ago and here we are, still waiting for spotify to even "consider" this an issue.