Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Playlists] 'Add to playlist' sort order should be custom

In the latest Spotify library redesign, when I try to add a song to a playlist, the modal that opens sorts my playlists in a seemingly random order. This is very annoying since I have a mix of many playlists/folders in a specific custom order, and now finding the correct playlist to add a song has become a pain. This has only become a problem in the latest update, and worked perfectly in previous Spotify versions. I think that the order of the playlists in the "Add to playlist" dialog should follow the same order as the main Playlists tab - that is, if I have my playlists sorted by custom, the dialog should be sorted the same way.

Updated on 2021-06-13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
tawqan

Hi !

Thanks for bringing down the issue ! It has been a problem for me too since they made that change but I thought it may need a little adaptation time for me to work with that new sorting methode. But after a few months, I can say I don't understand it and am strugling to find the playlist I need.

Please at least bring back the old method or try adding choice in sorting method or typing to find the good one on android as it is on pc.

bLasagna

Talked to their customer support. They closed the conversation without satisfying conclusion...
image.png

Fortml
100% agree. After a good faith attempt to understand it and figure it out,
it is exceptionally disruptive to the way I create and access playlists. I
use them in a chronological order, and to have to scroll through 35
playlists to find the most recent one I've created simply to add a song is
inefficient and frustrating.

Again, multiple fitness franchises use Spotify as their working music
forum, and I've heard colleagues grumble about this function specifically.
I cannot understand why there isnt an option in the settings to choose how
playlists are ordered in the "add a song to playlist" search.

Please change it back or create a settings option. It's illogical and
frustrating.
Zacm0905

Honestly sort of frustrating. It isn't random I live by my playlists and it's very clear the sorting in the 'add  to playlist' section is based off of frequency songs get added to a given playlist. So if you have a playlist that you constantly add a lot of music to its going to prioritize that to the top vs. a playlist you might not add to as frequently. This is frustrating because there was nothing wrong with the way it was before. It most definitely should default to your custom playlist order. I fear that the 139 votes in this moment in time won't be enough to force them to revert the change. It seems like the removal of the android widget had significantly more people uproared hence them bringing that back. PLEASE spotify fix this feature as it is important to me and at least 138 others who cared enough to google the issue!!!

BlueR32

Where do Spotify get stupid ideas like this? Just let us PAYING CUSTOMERS filter the playlists during the "add to" mode!!!

noahlafferty

Please fix this!!!!!! This is the most frustrating thing about the spotify app. I add many songs to different playlists every day so this "feature" is unbelievable annoying.

therioman

I agree - and I really think I should be able to tag or force certain playlists anywhere playlists appear to the top.

NotImpressedify

Does anyone else think this idea submission system is a joke? It's just a dead end they can point us all at to get us off their backs.

This isn't a "new idea".

It's a "please undo this confusing change you've forced on your customers".

Why do we have to pay full price for a product that doesn't work as well as it used to?

If you really want to have this as the default sorting, then fine, but please please please just put the option to choose somewhere in an advanced options menu or something!

pbriggs28

I am having the same issue starting the same time frame as OP (June 2019). Extremely frustrating.

This used to work perfectly, whatever setting you had for your Playlist "Sort by" would be used to sort the playlists in the "Add to Playlist" screen. Now it seems to be deterministically random (doesn't follow any obvious order but the order is consistent every time).

Not sure if this helps but one thing I notice is that after I add a song to a playlist, that playlist will be at the top of future "Add to Playlist" screens until the app is killed. So there is some type of sorting occurring in memory.

roseen

I really think this should be labelled as a bug, since 1) this used to work before, and 2) the sorting (or lack thereof) is not consistent with the order of the playlists in the library view.

But "new idea" or bug doesn't matter as long as it is fixed.