Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Playlists] Remove Apple Watch 50 Song Limit

I am so grateful that we finally can download Spotify playlists on the Apple Watch, but I was pretty disappointed to find out that there is a 50 song limit per playlist. I’m not sure if that is on purpose for formatting or storage concerns, but I would love to see that limit removed so that I can download full playlists to my Watch and listen to all my music without having to have my phone on me. 

Updated on 2023-07-05

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that now there’s a limit of 100 downloads per playlist. There's more info here.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
SnoopDOGZ
Agreed can't see why there is any limit in place but 100 is certainly better than 50.
saintscar

I mean yeah, 100 is better than 50, but can we talk about why this seemingly artificial limit for no reason is still there at all? And why we as paying customers  are happy about "charity pieces" like these? Next year they will announce "125" and everyone freaks out?

ThatNameIsTaken

50 track view limit per category - The new category way of organizing your playlists on the watch is nice and it does allow more that 50 tracks BUT...... each category still only allows you to VIEW 50 songs! WHY WHY WHY? Why is there a cap on how many songs I can view? Why can't I just keep scrolling down in the list? Having anymore than 50 tracks per category requires you to delete a track before another a hidden downloaded one will show up. Silliness.

Random Disconnects - Spotify still randomly disconnects the bluetooth from the watch and requires you to use cellular to reconnect to your headset/buds. You have to turn cellular on, then stream a track via cellular in order to once again play what you have downloaded to the watch. It simply wont detect your bluetooth device otherwise. It makes zero sense. This doesn't always work. Sometimes you have to reconnect it through your phone and do all sorts of fudging and devices restarting before Spotify will once again detect and stream your downloads to your bluetooth device. Very odd behavior.

Downloading - Adding a song to the apple watch through spotify requires you to have bluetooth enabled on both devices. This is fine except for the fact that it tries to download via bluetooth (even when you are connected via WiFi) causing the download to take ages to complete. The work around is to finish adding all the tracks you want, turn on the watches WiFi and then turn the watches bluetooth off. The downloads will now attempt to download via the WiFi and complete in a timely manner. Why can't the app just automatically detect an active WiFi connection and use that instead of the bluetooth to download? I shouldn't have to keep cycling the bluetooth on and off to force it to use the WiFi. I should be able to leave BOTH the bluetooth and WiFi on and Spotify should know to use the WiFi if WiFi is connected. 

It's really strange that we need to keep finding these work arounds. I don't know if Spotify keeps overlooking things in the  programming or if Apple is intentionally trying to make spotify sketchy on its devices, as it is direct competition with Apple Music.

Things I'd like to see implemented

Play where you left off - I don't always have time to finish a podcast/song. It would be nice if spotify remembered where I left off on a track, rather than resetting it back to the start every time I back out of that track. 

Side scroll time select - A side scroll option to quickly select where I want a track to play from would be nice. Rather than having to hold my finger down several times on the 15sec/min selection button.

Date sort - A "Newest to Oldest" option to reorder how tracks in playlists are displayed.

Mark as played - A way to distinguish between tracks I have listened to and ones I have not.

Please like this post so that hopefully Spotify will see and fix these issues and implement new features.

davidasch

SnoopDOGZ
Hi,

Confirming I’ve been able to successfully download and listen properly too all streaming songs in there entirety my 100 song playlists.

Not sure what model iPhone/watch you are using but have you tried upgrading the iOS?
conradtan

Hi, 

Could there be a feature to split selected/liked songs into separate playlists to overcome the 100 songs per playlist limit?

Thanks.

philly92

Please remove the damn download limit or moving to Apple Music!

It‘s 2023, not 2021!!

Also why isn‘t there any possibility to search for songs in the catalogue directly from the Apple Watch???

Such basic functions missing, bad user experience… 

heathervee7

have to say this again... said it when the limit was 50:  

i have plenty of playlists that are well over 100 songs that i like to listen to on shuffle.  i'm sure many many others do as well.  this 100 song limit per playlist is a pain.  breaking those playlists out into groups of 100 songs defeats the purpose of being able to shuffle through hundreds of songs, not to mention a lot of work.  disappointed.

davidasch
I hear you. I have a monster playlist of almost 2,000 songs that I like to
play on shuffle. It was a bit of a pain to break my big playlist into 20
100-song playlists, but it's magical when I can listen from my watch,
disconnected from the web.

Hint: When you download playlists to your watch, turn off Bluetooth on your
phone so the downloads use your faster WiFi.
Hogg4

I have had a Spotify account that I have loved for over 5 years but it doesn’t seem to be useful at all anymore with apple. I bought an AW specifically for my hikes and workouts to listen to music offline and easily. This is not possible with Spotify though. Spotify requires premium accounts for apple watch downloads and then arbitrarily restricts the amount of songs to only 50 is frankly absurd. I have preferred Spotify to apple music since I was a child but the constant bad updates and this issue which won’t be fixed for years are the main reasons why I will not be paying for the Spotify premium service anymore.