Announcements

[Mobile][Playlists] Separated "What's new" sections for podcasts and music

The Spotify Dev Team has messed up again. Now, in order to find new podcast episodes, you have to click on the "What's New"  bell icon (instead of clicking on the "New Episodes" auto-generated playlist, which has been removed). Like most of these redesigned elements, it does not help the user and actually makes the experience worse. 

1. The What's New playlist includes both new podcast episodes and new music. Maybe I am an outlier, but I do not listen to podcasts and music interchangeably; I'm either in a mood to listen to podcasts or a mood to listen to music, not both. 
  2. Unlike the former New Episodes playlist, the What's New playlist will not automatically start playing the next item on the list. I have to manually select the next item or I sit with dead air. This is especially annoying when I'm driving and trying to avoid touching my phone at all costs (and if driving motorcycle, no way to touch phone until I arrive at my destination).
  3. Unlike the former New Episodes playlist, the What's New playlist does not remove episodes that you've already listened to. They only get marked as played, but continue to clog up the playlist. 

IDEA: Stop combining music and podcasts in a single playlist; people do not listen to these products interchangeably and podcasts and music playlists require different features. People can use the New Episodes playlist for podcasts and the Release Radar or Discover Weekly playlists for new music. Most people do not re-listen to podcast episodes, so the New Episodes playlist should automatically remove episodes once they've been played. However, people do tend to listen to music over and over, so the music playlists would not need to remove a song once it's been played. 

Updated on 2022-07-25

Hello @whatsthepoint,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. Also, we've updated the title of your idea so that other users can find it easier.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
OscarDC
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2022-07-25

Hello @whatsthepoint,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. Also, we've updated the title of your idea so that other users can find it easier.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Env: prod