Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Please bring back the old group session. "Play from same device"

The old group session, "play from same device option" has been removed and it has saddened many people. It seems the only group session option is now remote group sessions, where the music is played on each individual device.

This group session, "play from same device" feature was personally one of my favorite features of Spotify. When it was first introduced, I quite literally showed all of my friends to use it. I understand it was in beta, but this feature was used by many people, quite literally all the time. We know this feature did not work perfectly, but we would use it regardless of the tiny flaws, it was honestly my favorite thing about Spotify.

Whenever I, or any group, would have friends over, I would always offer to start a group session so that everyone could contribute to the music being played. Having this option, friends could seamlessly contribute to the music being played so that one person would not selfishly play music the entire time. It was so fun having everyone able to contribute, without having to hand over the one single phone to everyone that was connected to the device, just to add a few songs to the queue. Having someone scan a code and then instantly able to add songs to the queue was a perfect idea for hanging out with friends, in person.

It appears with the new update, there is only an option for remote group sessions where the music is played on each individual device, I'm asking to consider bringing back the "play from same device."

To recap, this feature allowed people to share music during in-person hang sessions, and from the people I had introduced to it, all found it to be one of the most fun features of Spotify.

So, dear Spotify, please bring back this feature!

Thanks,

Troy and many others!!

Updated on 2023-12-22

Hey folks,

Thank you for all the support! 

We're happy to announce that the 'Play from the same device' feature is now officially back!
Changing the status here to Implemented 🙂 

Comments
The_Orange_Frog

Seems weirdly specific to remove that feature. And it's not even like it'd be difficult to reimplement - the code is there, they've just got to reactivate it.

ddevil1500

I genuinely don't understand why this feature was changed to remove the ability to have everyone in the group session play music on the same device. I would often use this to create a group session via bluetooth in my car; bluetooth speakers during parties, or just plugging my phone into an aux port.

Anecdotally the group sessions have been way more unreliable when using a chromecast -- so I'm not sure how or why Spotify has managed to make a feature that was working phenomenally a year ago so much worse. It was one of my favorite features & I used it all the time!

cyclost

I use this feature during road trips, so wifi may not be the right option. Meanwhile, I think I can let my friend join the session and let them mute their speaker, therefore only my phone is playing the music?

Kskillzz

Please bring this feature back, I used it weekly with my friends

CYNOSURAL

I also really loved the old version primarily for its use-case in playing music in the car. I actually signed up for the community idea contributions because I had discovered that I wouldn't be able to have everyone add songs to the road-trip group session that I would play through my phone into the car speakers. Please bring it back!!

Novy
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2022-03-08

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

fily1212

bring it back! It was so usefull in the car with AUX!!

DoctorJJ

BUMP!!!

Jumping on here to say PLEASE bring this back, the session mode that replaced it is entirely useless.

Ouap

Totally agree with this, please bring back this awesome feature !

That was so convenient during house party, frustrating that is has disappeared ..

dababababb

This was one of THE BEST features of spotify and they removed it. Now when trying to use it every **bleep** mobile phone is playing the music....bring it back