Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Please bring back the old group session. "Play from same device"

The old group session, "play from same device option" has been removed and it has saddened many people. It seems the only group session option is now remote group sessions, where the music is played on each individual device.

This group session, "play from same device" feature was personally one of my favorite features of Spotify. When it was first introduced, I quite literally showed all of my friends to use it. I understand it was in beta, but this feature was used by many people, quite literally all the time. We know this feature did not work perfectly, but we would use it regardless of the tiny flaws, it was honestly my favorite thing about Spotify.

Whenever I, or any group, would have friends over, I would always offer to start a group session so that everyone could contribute to the music being played. Having this option, friends could seamlessly contribute to the music being played so that one person would not selfishly play music the entire time. It was so fun having everyone able to contribute, without having to hand over the one single phone to everyone that was connected to the device, just to add a few songs to the queue. Having someone scan a code and then instantly able to add songs to the queue was a perfect idea for hanging out with friends, in person.

It appears with the new update, there is only an option for remote group sessions where the music is played on each individual device, I'm asking to consider bringing back the "play from same device."

To recap, this feature allowed people to share music during in-person hang sessions, and from the people I had introduced to it, all found it to be one of the most fun features of Spotify.

So, dear Spotify, please bring back this feature!

Thanks,

Troy and many others!!

Updated on 2023-12-22

Hey folks,

Thank you for all the support! 

We're happy to announce that the 'Play from the same device' feature is now officially back!
Changing the status here to Implemented 🙂 

Comments
adamrhurley

I think they may have returned the feature now but implemented it slightly differently. It's now a qr code that has to be scanned rather than a Spotify code

Screenshot_20220409-181949.jpg

Bitter_Sweet_Arcade

Please bring this function back.

ryanskees

I’m also here to show my support because this was the best feature ever and all of my friends  used it when we hung out or threw parties. it was great because everybody else could queue music and then check or scroll through their phones without pausing the music for everybody or playing it over the song. a lot of us only got premium because of it and it would make everybody else get it too

please bring it back!!

andromeda40002019

The group listening session worked almost flawlessly but since the update Spotify keeps ending the session or kicking people out of the session randomly. This is an issue in addition to the really great features mentioned by OP that were taken away (literally why, and who is responsible, I have questions). I haven’t been able to have a group session that just functions as it should since the update and both my best friend and I are continually frustrated with this. Just now, I had to text a link to the session (when I could have just had them scan the code before which was really awesome), and then when I connected to my bluetooth speaker it ended the session (why...?) and so I had to resend a text with the link. And when they’re in the session, the music plays from their phone as well so they have to turn their phone volume down which is annoying af. Just... why. Literally why did y’all make it worse.

Pedw4rds

Please bring back this feature it allowed me to share music with my family very easily on the same shared speaker in the same room without having to turn the individual device / phone volume right down to prevent conflicting sound quality with the speaker to you and those close to you. 

This issue stops you doing other things on your device / phone as you can’t hear what you’re doing. You therefore end up preferring other people to play the songs so you are free to use your device / phone as you wish without any issues around the volume. 

We use this feature most in family gatherings when everyone wants to use their device / phone freely and have the music playing in the background at a comfortable level. 

Slix

Please bring it back instead of making the experience worse.

bmcd243

Lol, of course Spotify changed it so that it works exclusively on Spotify Connect devices, and not just any device with Bluetooth

Halfafrocan

Cmon Spotify!! This is absolutely ridiculous. I understand that it’s a business and you want to make money but you had a great feature that made people want to join your service. I literally was convincing my friend to join just based on the “play from the same device,” feature. Just give your customers what they want and bring features that enrich our lives and I promise your pockets will follow!!!!!

AliPalstralis

Spotify connect is great, but it still lacks the best features of "Group Sessions". I and many others by the looks of this thread are still waiting for solution, that doesn't involve the use of wi-fi and smart speakers. 

Pavangurudath
  1. I agree 100%. This feature was loved and used the most during house parties so everyone can play what they want or on road trips with a lot of requests. Don't have to share your phone and hope you don't have any messages coming in at that time or some push notification you don't want others to see!