Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Please bring back the old group session. "Play from same device"

The old group session, "play from same device option" has been removed and it has saddened many people. It seems the only group session option is now remote group sessions, where the music is played on each individual device.

This group session, "play from same device" feature was personally one of my favorite features of Spotify. When it was first introduced, I quite literally showed all of my friends to use it. I understand it was in beta, but this feature was used by many people, quite literally all the time. We know this feature did not work perfectly, but we would use it regardless of the tiny flaws, it was honestly my favorite thing about Spotify.

Whenever I, or any group, would have friends over, I would always offer to start a group session so that everyone could contribute to the music being played. Having this option, friends could seamlessly contribute to the music being played so that one person would not selfishly play music the entire time. It was so fun having everyone able to contribute, without having to hand over the one single phone to everyone that was connected to the device, just to add a few songs to the queue. Having someone scan a code and then instantly able to add songs to the queue was a perfect idea for hanging out with friends, in person.

It appears with the new update, there is only an option for remote group sessions where the music is played on each individual device, I'm asking to consider bringing back the "play from same device."

To recap, this feature allowed people to share music during in-person hang sessions, and from the people I had introduced to it, all found it to be one of the most fun features of Spotify.

So, dear Spotify, please bring back this feature!

Thanks,

Troy and many others!!

Updated on 2023-12-22

Hey folks,

Thank you for all the support! 

We're happy to announce that the 'Play from the same device' feature is now officially back!
Changing the status here to Implemented 🙂 

Comments
eewv-v6m_q2w

This was the main reason I got people to use Spotify over apple music. Really hope we can get this back!

zeefoxy

I totally agree, I was using this feature when it was in beta and all my friends adopted this as the game changer in parties or in car to control the music ! 

TheRitoMage

This feature has stopped me from apple music multiple times. I still consider switching if we lose the feature for good.

tivenpau14

Lo apoyoooooooo!!

dylanpref

I used this feature a ton, was really sad to see it go. I haven’t had a single time that I wanted to listen as a group on different devices so I don’t really understand why this was removed when it w seemed to be the more popular option.

Boazz

Please add this back it was so perfect for car rides with friends with everyone just adding to the playlist instead of passing around a phone. 

The current implementation still is trying to play the music on my phone which is super annoying. 

This feature was one of the standout things that made me stuck with Spotify over Apple Music 

TheFragen

You are so out of touch for removing this.

roel

Couple of months later: we still miss this on a weekly basis.
My Android Car-radio player has no wifi to share, has no BT to share so the only option is to start a session where multiple phones start playing 
Way too often the sharing BT device over someone network just doesn't work (BT device not showing, unable to add to queue)

PLZ this is 100% regression!

I noticed an attempt for functionality to be able to share with a link and QR once connected to a network but it's hidden and unclear...
It's becoming increasingly unnecessary complicated and fragmented in functionality!!

ROLL IT BACK!!!!!
It's ok, don't feel ashamed, the budget is long gone by now
we all make mistakes, just undo it all! 

geschrierfrank

Bring this feature back ffs what were you guys smoking when removing this 

psygasm

I agree! This feature to for a group to listen on 1 device was amazing. I used it all the time. Please please please bring it back!