Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Please bring back the old group session. "Play from same device"

The old group session, "play from same device option" has been removed and it has saddened many people. It seems the only group session option is now remote group sessions, where the music is played on each individual device.

This group session, "play from same device" feature was personally one of my favorite features of Spotify. When it was first introduced, I quite literally showed all of my friends to use it. I understand it was in beta, but this feature was used by many people, quite literally all the time. We know this feature did not work perfectly, but we would use it regardless of the tiny flaws, it was honestly my favorite thing about Spotify.

Whenever I, or any group, would have friends over, I would always offer to start a group session so that everyone could contribute to the music being played. Having this option, friends could seamlessly contribute to the music being played so that one person would not selfishly play music the entire time. It was so fun having everyone able to contribute, without having to hand over the one single phone to everyone that was connected to the device, just to add a few songs to the queue. Having someone scan a code and then instantly able to add songs to the queue was a perfect idea for hanging out with friends, in person.

It appears with the new update, there is only an option for remote group sessions where the music is played on each individual device, I'm asking to consider bringing back the "play from same device."

To recap, this feature allowed people to share music during in-person hang sessions, and from the people I had introduced to it, all found it to be one of the most fun features of Spotify.

So, dear Spotify, please bring back this feature!

Thanks,

Troy and many others!!

Updated on 2023-12-22

Hey folks,

Thank you for all the support! 

We're happy to announce that the 'Play from the same device' feature is now officially back!
Changing the status here to Implemented 🙂 

Comments
Timbo2289

This is not implemented….

ed_db

I don't understand how Spotify can deprecate a loved feature, wait almost 11 months in radio silence and then reply that its restored without actually addressing the core issue. You now need WiFi which you didn't before.

We're here waiting to be listened too, please communicate. For ever frustrated subscriber that has dutifully waited and commented on this thread there are many more that haven't gone through the effort of signing up to this board to scream into the void. Perhaps they already knew it was futile.

Don't worry everyone I'm sure in another 11 months they'll finally explain themselves /s 

MihailY
Status changed to: Live Idea

Updated on 2023-02-01

Hey folks,

Sorry about the confusion with the recent update here in the Community. We've listened to your feedback and we're now changing the status back to 'Live Idea'.

Please keep the votes coming and watch this space for further updates.

ashjm

What a dumb decision to remove this feature. I can not imagine the majority of people want to have a group session in a distributed setting.

DannyB2

As soon as I find a mildly better service, I'll likely jump off. 
Removing features is how you lose customers.

hrhett101

On road trips, we used to start a group session and it would ask which device you would like to listen to (host or your phone). Now it’s stopped asking that and you have to listen on your phone, which means you have to mute your phone and you can’t use it’s bolume for anything else if you wanted to.

Fahrradvater

I second all the other guys before me, 

please for the love of god bring back the old sessions without wifi. 

HoldSpotAccountable

Hey look. Yet another Idea (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) asking to roll back a change that Spotify doesn't have a problem with because it's not about the new UI.

God, Spotify's hypocrisy knows no bounds apparently. There are like a dozen or more Ideas asking for this new trash home page UI to be removed—all of which were closed because apparently it's a rule that "Requests for complete roll-backs are not allowed." (Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) And yet they don't seem to have any problem with this idea asking for a feature that was removed to be restored. If that's not a "complete roll-back" I don't know what is.

Why don't you just come clean and flat out say that you just aren't going to get rid of the new UI no matter how many people hate it?

Capucin

So that's why it never worked when I try to use it again in parties with friends...

I thought I was doing something wrong lol...

deadtamagotchi

Over a year later and this is still not fixed??? I don't get it. I thought there was something wrong with my phone when this feature disappeared because seriously, why would you think it's a good idea to trash the thing that helped facilitate smooth social gatherings on your platform? That's literally how you get people to switch from Apple Music to using your app, so that they're not left out of the group queue at parties. Having it removed is a frustration for users and a bad business move on Spotify's part.