Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Remove current Song from Playlist

Hi

This is a usability improvement for the Mobile devices. Sometimes I want to remove songs from a playlist. This is currently quite a long task to perform on the mobile device.

1. I first have to select the right playlist.
  2. Then I have to locate the song, which is not listed alphabetically. They are listed in the order I built the playlist with the oldest first and newest last.Some of my playlists have up to 900 songs in them and scrolling slowly can be difficult and timeconsuming.
  3. Then click on the "pencil" icon and  delete the track I don't want.

I think it would be a better user experience if we could delete songs as easy as it is to add them to a playlist. 

So here's a suggestion for the mobile app, look there's even a space for it on the info page! Smiley LOL

Spotify Delete Track Idea

Cheers

J

UPDATE 3 June 2017

I have been contacted by user eviljojo22 who has developed a Plugin that creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes it deletes every song in it and also in every playlist in which that same song appears (which may not be what you want). However, this is an option that may help you before Spotify gets round to providing this very simple function. Good luck (and Thank you EvilJojo22)

Connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr

UPDATE 7 February 2019

I have been contacted by user bamboony who has developed an android app that might solve the problem in the short term:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bamboomy.delete.deletespotifytrack

UPDATE 15 February 2022

They delivered! This feature now exists. Click the three dots while playing a track and select the option "Remove from this Playlist"

Spotify.jpg

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hey folks, 

If you'd like to remove the song that's currently playing on Android devices, you can quickly get to it by tapping the title of the playlist (located in the top center of the screen). This will open the playlist and the current song will be highlighted in green. From there, you can tap the three-dot menu and select "Remove from this playlist". 

Capture1.PNG           Capture2.PNG 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View' or if we have some news regarding this option on iOS devices, we'll post them here. Remember that you can still add your votes here if this is something you'd like to see in the future.

Thanks!

Comments
westfen
These ideas are good and constructive. My preference for an additional
delete-from-playlist button in the mobile app is:

1. The user would not need to decide which playlist to delete from. The app
would delete the song from the currently queued playlist. Quick and easy.

2. Showing a list of playlists with checkboxes is great but might require
more coding, more time, hence more money, and further delay seeing any
delete functionality. Spotify has the ability to code a
delete-from-playlist feature, but the absence of this feature shows that
it's not a priority. Hence, let's make the request as simple as possible.

In thinking about why the delete-from-playlist feature has not been coded
until now, I can only imagine that there may be some esoteric clause in a
contract with record labels that discourages Spotify from adding it.
Perhaps they make an extra fee when a song is added to a playlist and lose
that fee when it is removed. Perhaps there are stats provided to the record
labels which look nicer when songs are in playlists. Finally, songs in
playlists may score higher in certain metrics, and making it easier to
delete songs from playlists goes against their preferences.

I hope all of these speculations are totally false, and that we will see
this feature added in the next release.

Feddar

Is this ever going to be implemented?

An alternative would be a 'go to current song in playlist' function would help. Then the current method of removing the song would be fine.

rbaca
Update for y'all. Google Music has a Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down on the Android platform which will remove the song. I can't use the star function because I have my phone clipped to my motorcycle handlebars and listen with a Bluetooth headset while driving/commuting. My gloves can't do the star thing easily, but I can hit the Thumbs Down button. It has been a lifesaver. I dump several albums into a playlist and now I can remove the ones I don't like while I am riding. Google Music doesn't have good social networking capabilities, no equalizer, and no crossfade, but it has all the same music and a decent music player. I ported all my Spotify playlists to Google using a third party tool called PyPortify using my Ubunto virtual machine. I just switched over and I am happier now. If Sputter-fy gets this fixed I will probably move back, but for now I am on Google. I know some people don't consider this a show-stopper, but it was for me because I ride my motorcycle everywhere.
leviathan1753

Coming from a programming background, I'm unsure why it's so difficult to add this feature.   You guys have some killer features left and right.. but yet the simple 5 second stuff seems to evade getting implemented.

Keep a reference or ID or anything to the playlist that added a song that's currently playing.  When user presses delete, remove it from said playlist.  

I get the same results by doing this painstakingly manually by:

1)  Navigating to the playlist in question (I personally have to remember which one it would be)

2)  Search for the song (terribad search algo makes this a PITA)

3)  Delete

4)  Remove search filter

5)  Press next song

It's... terrible.  Especially due to the way I listen to music which is to dump a load of stuff I'm unsure of, and slowly "burn the chaff".

If I can do it manually, you should be able to do it progmatically.   I really feel like this feature is a no brainer, and could/should be a 15m job.  Just get er done.

thedrus

Wow, can't believe this still has not been implemented!

rbaca
Yup, still using Google Music until it is implemented.

westfen

I use Spotify on my iPhone 5S and Nexus 7. Same Spotify account for both devices. Recently I was modifying a playlist on the Nexus 7 app and I think I saw a menu choice "Remove from Playlist" when I attempted to edit a song in the playlist. If anybody else notices this feature in the Android tablet version, then it would confirm that Spotify can implement it.

Update: I apologize for a mix up. The menu mentioned above does not exist for the currently played track. The desired feature has the remove from playlist option in the currently playing track.

AgentYura

This is the first thing I have tried to find when I moved to premium subscription. It would be very nice to see it. Currently I have to workaround it with using fake ("ToRemove") playlist.  

In my opinion this feature should be even on the idle screen together with play/pause buttons and volume slider.

iwanatapyurdrum

I've been asking for this feature since Spotify started, please add it and the experience will be better, I have to create a separate playlist with all my deletes, then go in to my playlist and delete, very annoying.

dbraem
This is such a frustrating issue I'm going to look for another service... Deleting tunes is absolutely necessary!!!