Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Remove current Song from Playlist

Hi

This is a usability improvement for the Mobile devices. Sometimes I want to remove songs from a playlist. This is currently quite a long task to perform on the mobile device.

1. I first have to select the right playlist.
  2. Then I have to locate the song, which is not listed alphabetically. They are listed in the order I built the playlist with the oldest first and newest last.Some of my playlists have up to 900 songs in them and scrolling slowly can be difficult and timeconsuming.
  3. Then click on the "pencil" icon and  delete the track I don't want.

I think it would be a better user experience if we could delete songs as easy as it is to add them to a playlist. 

So here's a suggestion for the mobile app, look there's even a space for it on the info page! Smiley LOL

Spotify Delete Track Idea

Cheers

J

UPDATE 3 June 2017

I have been contacted by user eviljojo22 who has developed a Plugin that creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes it deletes every song in it and also in every playlist in which that same song appears (which may not be what you want). However, this is an option that may help you before Spotify gets round to providing this very simple function. Good luck (and Thank you EvilJojo22)

Connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr

UPDATE 7 February 2019

I have been contacted by user bamboony who has developed an android app that might solve the problem in the short term:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bamboomy.delete.deletespotifytrack

UPDATE 15 February 2022

They delivered! This feature now exists. Click the three dots while playing a track and select the option "Remove from this Playlist"

Spotify.jpg

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hey folks, 

If you'd like to remove the song that's currently playing on Android devices, you can quickly get to it by tapping the title of the playlist (located in the top center of the screen). This will open the playlist and the current song will be highlighted in green. From there, you can tap the three-dot menu and select "Remove from this playlist". 

Capture1.PNG           Capture2.PNG 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View' or if we have some news regarding this option on iOS devices, we'll post them here. Remember that you can still add your votes here if this is something you'd like to see in the future.

Thanks!

Comments
undr01d

Hi thank you for your reply . I've added the plugin and a great thx for the developer.

doug_meyer

Yes, after 5 years and HUNDREDS of requests for this most basic of functions, it took a magnanimous and crafty developer to create a plugin that does allow us to remove a song from a playlist, so... Thanks immensely to said developer for that! There is still a drawback, in that to remove a song from a playlist necessitates that it be removed from ALL playlists in which it appears. No complaint to the developer here, he/she is only working within the constraints of spotify's ecosystem. Spotify should be ashamed of itself!️ That it not only has refused to implement this most basic, rudimentary and primary function, but has also refused to give ANY explanation for it's refusal, tells me that there is some reason too embarrasing/evil/nefarious to admit: there musty be some $$$ coming from somewhere and they know that to admit this would reveal the ultimate contemp they hold their users in. Spotify, it's time to man-up! Stop being an orwellian stereotype, and get this **bleep** done for the right reasons. Until you do, you will simply suck, and will be regarded by many, many of your potential supporters, as simply an evil, sucking, ethicall bereft, money-clutching and pathetic excuse for a company.  SHAME ON YOU!

stefgeiger

It takes 4-5 taps (and a ton of scrolling!) to remove an item from a playlist in iOS. This is ridiculous. It should realy be a swipe gesture (I find it hard to believe that the "save to library" or "add to queue" features are used that much). Or it could be a long or firm-press option since the preview functionality was removed a while ago and replaced with nothing.

Chris91825

@stefgeiger Absolutely. Good point on the preview feature. Spotify keeps putting energy in removing useful features instead of improving the apps. Then on the desktop, they integrate the remove song from playlist feature, where nobody actually needs it. What a mindboggling and cluttered mess this is.

They could also easily integrate this feature without removing anything like the add to library/queue stuff. Just use short and long swipes, like a multitude of other apps (Apple Mail, Spark Mail, Airmail, …) where a short swipe left would add or remove from library and a long swipe left would delete from playlist. 

cyclinbabs

This "delete" option should be on top of your list for developement.  Why this wasn't included when the app was originally developed is a mystery.

Thanks for listening

Love Spotity!!!! 

jrlaff

So, in iOS, you have a playlist with 10000 songs. You just added a song by mistake and you want to remove it from the playlist. The only option is to open the playlist, switch to edit mode, scroll down to the end (takes ages and kills your finger), and after five minutes you can eventually remove it.

It is so unusable. Moreover, what if the song is somewhere in the middle of the list?

I can't believe it is still not implemented in iOS. If it is indeed "not something we plan on building at the moment", that makes the whole playlist building experience such a pain that I will eventually quit Spotify.

doug_meyer

Spotify, seriously! You pretend to be committed to the best user experience, but this constant neglect of BASIC PLAYLIST FUNCTION, and your avoidant explanations belie your projected nature.

Lets look at Discover Weekly. Great idea, defanged by your absurd choices. I copy all 30 weekly offerings into a growing, accumulative playlist, and as I listen to the week's songs I would delete some of them from said growing playlist IF I COULD, to end up with only the keepers. My personalized playlist.

But I can't do that, because Spotify won't enable THE MOST BASIC PLAYLIST MANAGEMENT FUNCTION!

At some level, there must be a slew of people at Spotify truly embarrassed by this failure.

And this embarrassment is deeply deserved.

Shame on you Spotify.

It sucks to be lame doesn't it?

Look at all the animosity you have rightfully earned around this particular, and avoidable, failure of yours.

cyclinbabs
Dear Spotify, It's very frustrating that you have not put this request on
top of your list. I have 600+ song and some I really need to delete. Please
reconsider😯
undr01d

As I see spotify take a **bleep** about users request, so I've decided. I dont want to be flustrated and left spotify.   

Does anybody else see the irony in this advertisement?  I wonder if the advertiser is aware of the 'pain' associated with cleaning playlists...?

SimplyEnergyAd.jpg