Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Remove current Song from Playlist

Hi

This is a usability improvement for the Mobile devices. Sometimes I want to remove songs from a playlist. This is currently quite a long task to perform on the mobile device.

1. I first have to select the right playlist.
  2. Then I have to locate the song, which is not listed alphabetically. They are listed in the order I built the playlist with the oldest first and newest last.Some of my playlists have up to 900 songs in them and scrolling slowly can be difficult and timeconsuming.
  3. Then click on the "pencil" icon and  delete the track I don't want.

I think it would be a better user experience if we could delete songs as easy as it is to add them to a playlist. 

So here's a suggestion for the mobile app, look there's even a space for it on the info page! Smiley LOL

Spotify Delete Track Idea

Cheers

J

UPDATE 3 June 2017

I have been contacted by user eviljojo22 who has developed a Plugin that creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes it deletes every song in it and also in every playlist in which that same song appears (which may not be what you want). However, this is an option that may help you before Spotify gets round to providing this very simple function. Good luck (and Thank you EvilJojo22)

Connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr

UPDATE 7 February 2019

I have been contacted by user bamboony who has developed an android app that might solve the problem in the short term:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bamboomy.delete.deletespotifytrack

UPDATE 15 February 2022

They delivered! This feature now exists. Click the three dots while playing a track and select the option "Remove from this Playlist"

Spotify.jpg

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hey folks, 

If you'd like to remove the song that's currently playing on Android devices, you can quickly get to it by tapping the title of the playlist (located in the top center of the screen). This will open the playlist and the current song will be highlighted in green. From there, you can tap the three-dot menu and select "Remove from this playlist". 

Capture1.PNG           Capture2.PNG 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View' or if we have some news regarding this option on iOS devices, we'll post them here. Remember that you can still add your votes here if this is something you'd like to see in the future.

Thanks!

Comments
danks

It's clear to me that this is a political/monetary issue to Spotify. There is ABSOLUETLY NO OTHER REASON FOR THIS OPTION TO BE MISSING. I'm sure it has something to do with making more money off of songs being played that ARE NO LONGER WANTED. The fact that they have taken this stance speaks volumes to their opinon of their PAYING customers. They don't give a **bleep** about us. They will take time to make a "Stranger Things" mode, add USELESS AND DISTRACTING VIDEOS to their player screeens, but they will not implement a feature that THOUSANDS of customers want.

PATHETIC.

JP01

I love the idea of a REMOVE button appearing when I touch the 3 dots in the NOW PLAYING song window but on my iPhone 8 Plus no REMOVE button appears anywhere. Is there anywhere else it could be or do I need to reboot the app?

danks

@JP01 wrote:

I love the idea of a REMOVE button appearing when I touch the 3 dots in the NOW PLAYING song window but on my iPhone 8 Plus no REMOVE button appears anywhere. Is there anywhere else it could be or do I need to reboot the app?

Nope, no reboot necessary, because it DOES NOT EXIST in the Now Playing 3-dot menu. You currently have to:

1) Identify the playlist you are currently listening to (which will be listed at the top of the Now Playing screen, indicating that Spotify DOES know which playlist you are currently on, making it even more infuriating that they simply WILL NOT IMPLEMENT this feature)

2) Press the back button so that you can select your library. This is because the library button DOES NOT APPEAR on the Now Playing screen.

3) Scroll through the playlists in your library to find the one that Spotify ALREADY KNOWS YOU ARE PLAYING FROM (and thankfully at least colors differently from the others to make it stand out more)

4) Open that playlist (noting that it defaults to whatever sorting you had set prviously)

5) Change, if necessary, that sorting to sort by "Title" to more easily be able to locate the song in large playlists. Do this by:

5a) Opening the playlist 3-dot menu at the top right

5b) Scroll to the "Sort Playlist" option in that menu

5c) Change to sort by "Title"

5d) Curse Spotify, because you will have to LATER CHANGE THE SORTING BACK to whatever your preferred sorting method was (in my case, I prefer "Recently Added")

6) Once sorted by Title, and if by the time you get to this step, you still remember the title of the song you wish to remove, SCROLL MANUALLY THROUGH ALL THE SONGS TO FIND THE TITLE YOU WANT TO REMOVE <===== REALLY, SPOTIFY, REALLY!?!?!?!?!? (curse Spotify once again)

7) Click on the 3-dot menu to the right of the song listing, being careful not to select the wrong song, or accidentally starting to play the song by clicking on the song title instead (curse Spotify again for another INFURIATING problem with this whole process)

😎 Select "Remove song from playlist" from the menu

9) Once again, curse Spotify for this convoluted MESS of steps to simply remove a song from a CURRENTLY PLAYING playlist

SPOTIFY ARE YOU LISTENING TO US?!?!?

IS NOT THE ABOVE SIMPLY RIDICULOUS TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH TO REMOVE A SONG?

ARE YOU SO IGNORANT OF THE PAIN IN THE **bleep** THIS IS!?!

TropicalMoose

Unbelievable to me that Spotify does not provide a way to see in one place (e.g., drop-down menu) all the playlists a song is in and let you delete them from those where you no longer want that song. Also, there should be the ability to delete a song from all playlists at once - removing a song from one's library should mean all playlists and song list. ITunes and others have this and I now wish I had not gone with Spotify to build my playlists (hours of work)!

maxon123

Are you serious??? There's no way to delete a playing song from a current play list... Actually, Spotify mobile app brings one of the worst user experience I ever had. I have more than 1000 songs in my play list. How do you suppose I should find a specific song by scrolling the list to delete it? There's no even a search function across the play list you are editing. 

MichelRa
Just go back to free version. You'll have some commercials but there is a
button "dislike" right side of the play skip buttons 😉
Chiiino34

hi,

this is just lazy , i have 9000 songs on my playlist, i like to put whole albums on and delete the ones i dont like (anymore).

it should not be hard to create a delete button oppsite to the heart button that only effect currently playing playlist 

TropicalMoose
Thanks for this, but what a ridiculous hassle for something so basic. I
actually found a 3rd party app at the Google Playstore that will remove the
song from playlist in which it is being played. There are two. I used the
one with a long title which has the words "delete" and "playlist" in it and
that's how you can find it with a Playstore search. It seems to work well
(considering you have to go to another app to do this).
TropicalMoose
Well at least you can earn badges 😉 - such nonsense, Spotify 🙃. (I have
numerous playlists.)
TomLegend
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-07-09

Hey Folks, 

Since 2012, there are a couple of features that speed up removing songs from playlists. 

On Android, you can find tracks quickly by clicking the three dot menu in the playlist and heading to the 'Find in Playlist' option - this will bring a search bar where you can type the name of the song or artist. On iPhone, you can find the search bar by pulling down on the Playlist screen. Once you've found the track, you can click the three dots next to the song and click 'Remove from this Playlist' - even whilst the track is playing. The song will continue, but be removed from the playlist. 

Screenshot_20190709-171419.jpg

From the playlist menu you can also sort your playlist by Title, Recently Added, Artist, Album or Custom. 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View', we'll post them here. 

Thanks!