Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Remove current Song from Playlist

Hi

This is a usability improvement for the Mobile devices. Sometimes I want to remove songs from a playlist. This is currently quite a long task to perform on the mobile device.

1. I first have to select the right playlist.
  2. Then I have to locate the song, which is not listed alphabetically. They are listed in the order I built the playlist with the oldest first and newest last.Some of my playlists have up to 900 songs in them and scrolling slowly can be difficult and timeconsuming.
  3. Then click on the "pencil" icon and  delete the track I don't want.

I think it would be a better user experience if we could delete songs as easy as it is to add them to a playlist. 

So here's a suggestion for the mobile app, look there's even a space for it on the info page! Smiley LOL

Spotify Delete Track Idea

Cheers

J

UPDATE 3 June 2017

I have been contacted by user eviljojo22 who has developed a Plugin that creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes it deletes every song in it and also in every playlist in which that same song appears (which may not be what you want). However, this is an option that may help you before Spotify gets round to providing this very simple function. Good luck (and Thank you EvilJojo22)

Connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr

UPDATE 7 February 2019

I have been contacted by user bamboony who has developed an android app that might solve the problem in the short term:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bamboomy.delete.deletespotifytrack

UPDATE 15 February 2022

They delivered! This feature now exists. Click the three dots while playing a track and select the option "Remove from this Playlist"

Spotify.jpg

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hey folks, 

If you'd like to remove the song that's currently playing on Android devices, you can quickly get to it by tapping the title of the playlist (located in the top center of the screen). This will open the playlist and the current song will be highlighted in green. From there, you can tap the three-dot menu and select "Remove from this playlist". 

Capture1.PNG           Capture2.PNG 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View' or if we have some news regarding this option on iOS devices, we'll post them here. Remember that you can still add your votes here if this is something you'd like to see in the future.

Thanks!

Comments
danks

@xydegek - It would be nice if those were configuration options. Not all of us want to interrupt the music, even if it is a song we no longer want in the current playlist. But I agree on the verification message. Hate those, but even so, it should be configurable (with a checkbox allowing you to change it right there with a "Don't ask me about this again" label)

danks

Regarding the 7 Feb 2019 update:

"On Android, you can find tracks quickly by clicking the three dot menu in the playlist and heading to the 'Find in Playlist' option - this will bring a search bar where you can type the name of the song or artist."

There is NOTHING "quick" about the process described, and is certainly not something that you can easily do while on the go. It fails to mention that you must FIRST LEAVE the now playing view, go to your Library, find the playlist (which may be daunting for those of us with many playlists, not to mention that they randomly seem to rearrange themselves depending upon some hidden operation: An edit to the playlist? An addition to the playlist? Deletion?), and FINALLY, once you are on the correct playlist, you can BEGIN the process described above.

Seriously, W-T-F Spotify?

DavidGP

Forget it. 

Simple things like this go over the heads at Spotify. I've stopped using Spotify in the meantime and probably will cancel my subscription soon, and in turn tell the rest of my family to do so as well.

Youtube Music seems to pick up my music taste much faster, inter alia due to the fact that I can simply DISLIKE any frigging song anywhere, another ridiculously basic feature that is too complicated for the whipper-snappers at Spotify to even understand.

Edwin71

@dsorak, look at Squint's comment of early october:

If the song is currently playing, on Android, on the Now Playing screen, you can tap the name of the playlist at the top of the screen, and you'll get taken to the playlist, and it'll scroll down to the song that is currently playing, and select it.

That is currently the "fastest" way to remove a song from the current playlist, but still far from the most obvious, intuitive solution that Spotify refuses to implement (no clue why that is). 

danks

@Edwin71, first of all, thank you! I did not see that. Much appreciated for pointing that out!

That's 90% of the way there and will help immensely:

• -5% - Does not work when playing from "Liked Songs" - will take you there, but will not scroll to the currently playing song. This is forgivable because to remove from this particular list, you can just use the "heart" icon in the "Now Playing" view instead.
  • -5% - Still have to muck about with the "3-dot" menu in playlist mode to remove, which can be troubling when on the move, especially since that menu is right next to the scroll bar area and I often end up scrolling instead of pulling up the menu. Also, the target area for the menu in playlist view is much smaller. As a result, the incorrect song is easily select-able (especially while in motion). The "3-dot" in the "Now Playing" view at the top right (Android) is much more accessible and there are no worries of accidental scrolling or incorrect selection.

All-in-all, this will certainly suffice and I do appreciate that Spotify has made an effort here. In my opinion, the two biggest issues have been adequately addressed:

1. Navigating to the correct playlist
  2. Navigating to the correct song

Also, I do appreciate that the selected song always seems to appear at the bottom of the playlist scroll area, which makes it easier to target.

mwstephensandah

Sorry, despite what the status update from 2019-07-09 says - there is no 'Find in Playlist' option on Android under 3 dot menu.... 

In any event, why not just make it easy for users to delete a song from the CURRENT playlist - when they are most likely to want to remove it and it's already selected (since it would be currently playing)???

Zedmust

Spotify said - you can sort your playlist in a number of ways - but i dont see any way to re-sort tracks in a playlist on ios?

Zedmust

The current method of having to search for the track by typing in the name is painful - just add it to the menu under add to playlist! Also it makes no sense to have 'add to queue' here - if you are playing a playlist why would you ever need to add the currently playing song to the queue. So actually you ca just replace add to queue with remove from playlist - only while a playlist is playing of course.

razu

@dsorak wrote:
  • -5% - Still have to muck about with the "3-dot" menu in playlist mode to remove, which can be troubling when on the move, especially since that menu is right next to the scroll bar area and I often end up scrolling instead of pulling up the menu. Also, the target area for the menu in playlist view is much smaller. As a result, the incorrect song is easily select-able (especially while in motion). The "3-dot" in the "Now Playing" view at the top right (Android) is much more accessible and there are no worries of accidental scrolling or incorrect selection.

To be fair here are the bounds on Android:

Screenshot_20201126-111714.jpg

They also take precedence over the scrollbar bound (the large vertical one starting before the three dots do visually). I think they should extend to the to the top and bottom of the song bound itself, so you can't miss them. Other than that, they seem quite big and are easy to hit even on high dpi screens like mine.

Still doesn't really explain why a simple "remove from current Playlist" doesn't exist next to the "Add to Playlist".

By the way the bound for the three dots in the currently playing view is much smaller than in the playlist view, clicking anywhere on the left of its bound will hit the bound that takes you back to the playlist view:

Screenshot_20201126-112716.jpg

Sushanni

For me that „find song in playlist“ doesnt exist. I would really like an easy way to remove songs from playlists without having to search them!

I hope spotify can realize something like that soon.

i actually believe i remember that theres been something like that a year ago or so...