Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Remove current Song from Playlist

Hi

This is a usability improvement for the Mobile devices. Sometimes I want to remove songs from a playlist. This is currently quite a long task to perform on the mobile device.

1. I first have to select the right playlist.
  2. Then I have to locate the song, which is not listed alphabetically. They are listed in the order I built the playlist with the oldest first and newest last.Some of my playlists have up to 900 songs in them and scrolling slowly can be difficult and timeconsuming.
  3. Then click on the "pencil" icon and  delete the track I don't want.

I think it would be a better user experience if we could delete songs as easy as it is to add them to a playlist. 

So here's a suggestion for the mobile app, look there's even a space for it on the info page! Smiley LOL

Spotify Delete Track Idea

Cheers

J

UPDATE 3 June 2017

I have been contacted by user eviljojo22 who has developed a Plugin that creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes it deletes every song in it and also in every playlist in which that same song appears (which may not be what you want). However, this is an option that may help you before Spotify gets round to providing this very simple function. Good luck (and Thank you EvilJojo22)

Connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr

UPDATE 7 February 2019

I have been contacted by user bamboony who has developed an android app that might solve the problem in the short term:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bamboomy.delete.deletespotifytrack

UPDATE 15 February 2022

They delivered! This feature now exists. Click the three dots while playing a track and select the option "Remove from this Playlist"

Spotify.jpg

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hey folks, 

If you'd like to remove the song that's currently playing on Android devices, you can quickly get to it by tapping the title of the playlist (located in the top center of the screen). This will open the playlist and the current song will be highlighted in green. From there, you can tap the three-dot menu and select "Remove from this playlist". 

Capture1.PNG           Capture2.PNG 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View' or if we have some news regarding this option on iOS devices, we'll post them here. Remember that you can still add your votes here if this is something you'd like to see in the future.

Thanks!

Top Answer
squint
Music Fan

If the song is currently playing, on Android, on the Now Playing screen, you can tap the name of the playlist at the top of the screen, and you'll get taken to the playlist, and it'll scroll down to the song that is currently playing, and select it.

On iOS, this doesn't happen. All they need to do is make it work the same way on iOS.

Spotify's weakness is keeping all their apps on all their various platforms in sync.

It's the weakness of most companies, when their employees have to work together and stay in sync. Different people work on each app, I'm sure.

Comments
ElToby

It really is unbelievable that this request is open since 2012 and spotify does not give a ****

KeSoze2
Spotify does not even give a tenth of a **bleep** about FIXING something that was broken to start with. This should have been there at launch.

So many playlists I don't listen too anymore because it's just too hard to manage songs.

doug_meyer

Following is the transcript of a chat I just had with Spotify's "customer support".

Not surprisingly, it was an epic fail.

I would encourage you ALL to do the same thing. Let's inundate them with a cacophony of our displeased voices.

Here is the link to use: https://support.spotify.com/US/contact-spotify-support/

Also, it was recommended to post on the "idea submission" page as well: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/idb-p/ideas_submissions

Here is the transcript of my chat:

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

info: Thanks for choosing to chat with us. An advisor will be with you shortly.
info: Hey there! Thanks for contacting Spotify Support. You're chatting with Maria F.

NOTE: So we don't get disconnected, please do not navigate away to another browser or app during this chat.

info: I am in disbelief that I am unable to easily (with 1 or 2 clicks) delete a song from a playlist on IOS. This has been a feature request since June 2012: https://tinyurl.com/luvjarl. Can you please tell me if I am wrong and if there is an elegant way to do what is perhaps one of the most basic functions of playlist management? Thank you.

info:
Maria F: Sorry to hear that you're having this difficulty.
Maria F:

Don't worry, I'll help you get this sorted out.

Maria F:

Let me pull up your account to see what we have.

You: Great, thank you.
Maria F:

You're welcome and thanks for waiting.

Maria F:

May I verify if your playlists are local files or otherwise?

You: Both, depending on the playlist
You: Most are not local
Maria F:

Thanks.

Maria F:

May I have the version of Spotify that you're currently using please?

Maria F:

This can be found under the Settings tab.

Maria F:

Just scroll to the bottom and click About Spotify.

Maria F:

This would be a series of numbers.

You: Since my inquiry relates to IOS, are you asking for the IOS version?
Maria F:

Yes, this would be shown on the Spotify app.

You: Not sure how to pull up version number on IOS app. Please describe
Maria F:

I see.

You: Got it...
Maria F:

Sorry for not being very clear.

You: 8.4.0.623
Maria F:

Oh, good.

Maria F:

Thanks.

Maria F:

This happens on all devices that you have?

You: Yes. Are you familiar with the ios app? Can you confirm that this is an issue with the platform, or should I be able to delete a song EASILY from any playlist?
Maria F:

I'm gathering information on what's currently happening on your end.

You: ok
Maria F:

You do have the latest iOS version.

You: Yes, I know.
Maria F:

And, this should not be problem.

Maria F:

Is it all right if I ask questions to narrow down what's causing this please?

You: yes
Maria F:

Thanks 🙂 Appreciate this and it's a great help.

Maria F:

This difficulty deleting playlists, is this also seen in other devices?

You: To be clear, I am NOT talking about deleting playlists. I talking about deleting any specific song from a playlist. Do you understand that?
Maria F:

Thanks for clarifying the issue further.

Maria F:

May I know if this also happens on other devices please?

You: Yes, on both my iPhone and iPad. And on any other user of these platforms/devices I have spoken with.
Maria F:

Thanks, even after reinstalling the app?

You: Do you have this app available to you right now yourself, so that you can replicate the issue?
You: Yes, after reinstalling the app
Maria F:

Thanks for providing the information.

Maria F:

Please be assured that I am also using the device on my end. This is working smoothly.

Maria F:

With this happening, please log in to our test account using these details:

Maria F:

Username: cs_test_1

Maria F:

Password: music4life

You: May I ask: How many distinct steps are YOU required to go through in order to delete a song from a playlist on your IOS device?
Maria F:

Let me know what happens, thanks.

Maria F:

Just two. Tap on the song and select Remove from Playlist.

Maria F:

Have you logged in to the test account?

You: Yes, I just logged on in on my iphone
You: But when you say "Tap on the song and select Remove from Playlist." that does not make sense. "Tapping" on a song plays the song. It does not activate any menu of options
Maria F:

Can you make a new playlist using the test account please?

Maria F:

Add on songs and then remove them.

You: yes, stand by...
Maria F:

Thanks.

Maria F:

Are you all right?

You: Yes, I'm fine. But I am beginning to wonder if you are paying attention to what I am saying. Can you please tell me:
You: But when you say "Tap on the song and select Remove from Playlist." that does not make sense. "Tapping" on a song plays the song. It does not activate any menu of options
Maria F:

Apologies for not being more specific.

Maria F:

Tap on the three dots or ellipses.

Maria F:

The option to remove is there.

You: No, that option is NOT there.
You: Are you telling me you are on an iPhone right now, and that option is there for you?
Maria F:

One moment, grabbing the iPhone.

Maria F: I'm still working on this. Please bear with me a little bit longer, and stay on this screen so we don't get disconnected.
You: OK
You: If it helps to prove my issue: https://tinyurl.com/k549joe
Maria F: Thank you for holding on a few more minutes. Please don't go to another app or browser window or we could become disconnected.
Maria F: Thanks for waiting. Currently, the wifi connection is very slow on our iPhone. Sorry for the long wait.
Maria F:

I've also checked the link you sent earlier on.

You: OK, and your thoughts?
Maria F:

I'm now reaching out to our Specialty Team to help us out.

Maria F:

Just to make sure, these are songs from your personally created playlists, yes?

You: Yes, correct.
Maria F:

Thanks.

You: If you are on an IOS device yourself, then you are able to duplicate the issue I am speaking about?
Maria F:

As soon as the wifi connects, we'll be able to replicate this.

Maria F:

We're now discussing the details of what you've told me.

Maria F: I'm still working on this. Please bear with me a little bit longer, and stay on this screen so we don't get disconnected.
Maria F:

We're now discussing the content of the link you gave.

Maria F:

The steps you've taken and what happened on the test account.

Maria F:

Have you tried to tap Edit after tapping on the three dots?

You: Yes, but if I am in shuffle mode on a playlist with 100s or more of songs, it is unreasonably burdensome to locate the song to delete it.
Maria F:

I see.

Maria F:

Including this on our discussion.

Maria F:

The Specialty Team has tried this on their iPhone and encountered the same difficulty.

You: Are they also surprised that the most basic function of playlist management is missing (and has been missing since 2012)?
Maria F: We're now discussing this as well.
Maria F:

We greatly appreciate that you've told us about this.

You: Are you telling me that this is news to the team? That they were unaware that deleting a song from a playlist was so unbelievably cumbersome?
Maria F: If you have a desktop, things will be easier.
Maria F:

We highly encourage you to post about this on our ideas board as well.

You: People have been posting about this sine 2012
You: Remember that link I sent you?
You: WHy would me posting htis again make any difference?
Maria F:

Yes, I've looked into this myself.

Maria F:

Please do post about this so fellow Spotify users can vote on this as well.  Use this link:

Maria F:

Maria F:

You can also easily remove the track using an Android or a desktop.

Maria F:

What I can do for you is help you remove these songs from my end.

Maria F:

Just give me the URI of the song and I will be able to delete this for you.

You: please stop telling me that I can do what I am wanting to do on another platform. IOS is the most ubiquitous mobile platform on the planet. And my desktop is anchored to my desk.
You: Why should I believe that Spotify will pay attention to a post on the ideas/submissions link when they have already ignored it for 5 years?
You: Your suggestion is that I sell my iphone and buy an android?
Maria F: Currently, this will be easier to do on the desktop and using an Android device. I was focused on help you solve what's happening.
Maria F:

Definitely, I'm not recommending you to sell your iPhone.

You: OK, thanks for trying to be helpful. Can you tell me why Spotify appears to take no interest in 5 years of user submissions requesting basic user function?
Maria F: I really feel how frustrating this must be for you. This is also heartbreaking for me, too.
Maria F:

Posting about this would bring the issue forward, with fresh eyes.

Maria F:

Fellow Spotify users will be able to vote on this again. I have a feeling that you're not alone struggling with this feature.

You: I will post on the submissions link, but will do so with little expectation that Spotify is listening. And I will post the entire contents of our chat to the thread I sent to you earlier, informing the spotify community of Spotify's inability and failure to address the issue.
You: I do thank you for your attempt to help, but clearly your employer does not enable you or the team above you to do much to address legitimate concerns of paying customers.
Maria F:

Thanks for letting me know that you appreciate my efforts to try and help you out.

Maria F:

Rest assured that I'll also let the right folks here at Spotify know about this.

Maria F:

Oh, you can save our conversation by following these steps:

Maria F:

1. Click the + button in the bottom-left of this window.
2. Click Email transcript.
3. Enter your email address.

You: Thank you
info: At the end of this chat, I'll send a transcript to you at doug.meyer@mac.com.
Maria F:

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

You: Sadly no. Have a good day
Maria F:

Have a good day as well. Please chat back and we'll be here for you.

Maria F:

Bye for now and take care.

DrAliBaba
Amazing. Hello Spotify wake up.
Maestro4690
chiefels

Doug_meyer, what your chat shows is that Spotify has a bunch of numbskulls doing their customer service. You ask a very basic question and you get some of the worst run around waste of time. Makes me wonder if their customer service is in a foreign country. I never thought I'd say this but I think I'm finally and truly at a point where i want to tell them To go f%#k themselves. I can do just as good if not better with Apple Music.  I guess I will start organizing my Apple Music to mirror these files. And stop paying them their 120$ a year. Definitely not deserved of my cash. 

findfreedom1

I've thought about dumping spotify because of the difficulty in deleting from a playlist on a mobile device.  Please add the above delete from playlist option. I really, really hate trying to find the song playing in a playlist with over 500 songs!!

eviljojo22

I have developed a small plugin, it creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes delete every songs in it in every playlists (which may not be exactly what you want).

You just have to connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr
I will open source the code later.

KeSoze2

That sounds amazing! It works if I put songs in it on mobile?!

eviljojo22

Yes it works for mobile and desktop, the limitation is I can't remove instantly the song and I can't remove a song from a specific playlist, but for me it's what I need.