Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Remove current Song from Playlist

Hi

This is a usability improvement for the Mobile devices. Sometimes I want to remove songs from a playlist. This is currently quite a long task to perform on the mobile device.

1. I first have to select the right playlist.
  2. Then I have to locate the song, which is not listed alphabetically. They are listed in the order I built the playlist with the oldest first and newest last.Some of my playlists have up to 900 songs in them and scrolling slowly can be difficult and timeconsuming.
  3. Then click on the "pencil" icon and  delete the track I don't want.

I think it would be a better user experience if we could delete songs as easy as it is to add them to a playlist. 

So here's a suggestion for the mobile app, look there's even a space for it on the info page! Smiley LOL

Spotify Delete Track Idea

Cheers

J

UPDATE 3 June 2017

I have been contacted by user eviljojo22 who has developed a Plugin that creates a playlist named "Remove from Spotify" and every 45 minutes minutes it deletes every song in it and also in every playlist in which that same song appears (which may not be what you want). However, this is an option that may help you before Spotify gets round to providing this very simple function. Good luck (and Thank you EvilJojo22)

Connect on https://spotify-playlist.eivo.fr

UPDATE 7 February 2019

I have been contacted by user bamboony who has developed an android app that might solve the problem in the short term:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.bamboomy.delete.deletespotifytrack

UPDATE 15 February 2022

They delivered! This feature now exists. Click the three dots while playing a track and select the option "Remove from this Playlist"

Spotify.jpg

Updated on 2022-07-19

Hey folks, 

If you'd like to remove the song that's currently playing on Android devices, you can quickly get to it by tapping the title of the playlist (located in the top center of the screen). This will open the playlist and the current song will be highlighted in green. From there, you can tap the three-dot menu and select "Remove from this playlist". 

Capture1.PNG           Capture2.PNG 

We'll keep this idea open and if there are any updates about adding a remove song button to the menu on the 'Now Playing View' or if we have some news regarding this option on iOS devices, we'll post them here. Remember that you can still add your votes here if this is something you'd like to see in the future.

Thanks!

Top Answer
squint
Music Fan

If the song is currently playing, on Android, on the Now Playing screen, you can tap the name of the playlist at the top of the screen, and you'll get taken to the playlist, and it'll scroll down to the song that is currently playing, and select it.

On iOS, this doesn't happen. All they need to do is make it work the same way on iOS.

Spotify's weakness is keeping all their apps on all their various platforms in sync.

It's the weakness of most companies, when their employees have to work together and stay in sync. Different people work on each app, I'm sure.

Comments
bogdanc2011

Screenshot_2021-05-01-14-41-04-054_com.spotify.music.jpg

 I still don't have the feature. Gosh I hope Tidal fixes their stuff so I can leave this mess 🙄

Doqpler

A very simple function indeed. So what's the challenge? And to think it's long been brought up without action is such a shame. And that weakness squint mention about not being able to be in sync with all platforms is probably a result of silo mentality and bureaucracy. Or maybe apple paid spotify more to have more features in ios so people would have more reasons to buy apple devices. Despite the fact users pay the same subscription price regardless of platform. Either way is such a shame.

davidstarr9

Finally figured this out!  So, you can’t do it in list view - but if a song is playing and you are sick of it, click on the song so it fills up your screen (there is probably a technical term for this action but it is escaping me), and then click on the three dots at the top.  Then you will see “remove from this playlist” as your second option.  Finally! In list view, this option does not appear when you click the dots - you have to click directly on the playing track first.  Apologies if someone else has posted such granular instructions - I was not seeing it spelled out this clearly or did not understand if it was, so hoping this might help someone similarly clueless!

asimov_ais

Removing songs from the 'now playing' list is really complicated. You need to tick the songs you want to remove and only then you can remove them. It takes a long time. And sometimes when I'm choosing the ones I want to remove I accidentally click on a song and it starts playing. And, of course, all the work I've done goes down the drain. I have to shuffle again and start all over. It's really frustrating. Would be nice if it was possible to just slide to right side to remove songs. 

Thanks,

Edwin71

@asimov_ais No no no, swipe left or right is too obvious (in a touchscreen world) for Spotify, seems like they rather not want you to delete songs from playlists.

Edwin71

@davidstarr9 It really doesn't work like that for me (Android, Spotify app version 8.6.52.911). I have to:

• go to the Currently Playing screen
  • tap the Playing From Playlist bar on top of the screen (which brings you to the playlist itself, with the current song scrolled into the viewport
  • tap the 3 dots menu to the right of that song
  • tap the Remove from this Playlist menu option

That's ridiculously cumbersome. And then Spotify says: not enough votes, we're not planning to do any improvements in this area. Then I wonder: do they rely solely on user votes? Don't they have an opinion of their own about improving the user experience? Are they themselves happy with these aspects of the app? (They only seem to care about implementing new features that no one asked for.)

Marijn1

So Spotify, how many more votes does this post need for you guys to implement this functionality? It seems like a really simple function to implement. I've read in other threads that Spotify first counts how many votes new wishes get, but I would also ask to think logically:
1) Not everyone in need of this new functionality is on these message boards, the call for this functionality is probably much greater than currently measured.

2) The current options from being in a song and clicking on the three dots include about 9 options. I think most users most frequently use about 3 of those options, (like, add to playist, put in queue). Having the option to remove from playlist would not only be used very frequently, it also greatly feeds the IUX for playlist management, which will keep Spotify running in the long end imo.. 
Hope to hear back from you guys!

lnia8p7_-7hed

In mobile app, please add an option to remove the song from playlist when the song is playing(the screen that shows the album cover the song is from, the lengthof the song, not sure what the correct term is for that screen). Its very hard to update/clean up playlist when a song plays, I decide I want to remove it and I have to go back to the playlist and go through 1000's of songs or find it in playlist, then remove from there. 

So basically, when a song is playing and im on the screen that shows the time of the song left and the cover of the album, I would like to be able to click the 3 dots at top and remove from playlist right there. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!! Thw app would be perfect if it had that option and would make it very easy to keep your playlist cleaned up and current!!

MichaelaLi

Listening to a playlist it happens that I think like "not again this song". To delete, I need to leave song, go to playlist, search in my 300 titles which one was played, click on the small dots, search for delete function to delete. Please make it possible to delete via the three dots at top of screen when song is open, where I also can "add to playlist" etc. Listening to music while doing ie sports the current way is a very long one.

Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-09-29

Hello @MichaelaLi,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!