Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
andrewtroutt

so "not right now" is actually not in the next 3 years.  That button is a pain in the **bleep**.  at least make it an option.  it pretty much ruin's an otherwise lovely interface/user experience.  Kill it with fire.

jadoornik

New premium user here: please add option to change Shuffle to Play for premium users (after adding settings). Is deal breaker.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2018-01-05

Hi everyone, Spotify staff here. We want to let you know that while we're keeping a close eye on the growth of this idea, it is still "Not Right Now" for us. We definitely want your feedback on the iOS design and so please continue leaving your comments on the shuffle button here. If we have any plans to revisit the Shuffle button design or remove it we will let you know here. Thank you!

Are you kidding me? Four years in with thousands of complaints is not enough to convince you? Also, I use Windows desktop and and Android phone. Both should have the Shuffle button burned from their binaries forever. (premium member FWIW) 

larzan
Spotify still say "not right now". Are they retarded? I've left Spotify
long ago because of the Big Fat Shuffle Button, and after settling in with
Tidal there's now way back.
mhaglerjr
It's the most annoying thing in your mobile app. how many more complaints
do you really need?

Michael99

Hi Spotify,

Many thanks for letting us know that you are ignoring this suggestion.  I appreciate you taking the trouble to leave an update and realise that you are probably much too busy to give reasons for your decision.

That's a great idea about posting further ideas!  I'll sure to do that, and look forward to you ignoring those too....

dmcneel
Hi, Thanks for your reply. This doesn't directly affect me any more -- I
moved to Google Music long ago over this very issue -- but I'm very curious
to understand why Spotify is so stubborn on this point. Presumably, it
would be a simple matter to make a 'Play' button option available to those
who wanted it. I assume there must be a business reason for Spotify to
prefer that people use Shuffle. Do people tend to listen longer when they
Shuffle? I'm genuinely curious to know the reason for this puzzling
decision. I'm sure it's a trade secret that you won't be able to reveal,
but just thought I'd ask because it's so baffling.

Thanks
bezoomny2000

Hi Meridith

What a frustrating response from the team!

Can you give us an insight from the team about the reasons for the giant shuffle button on albums that are meant to be played in order? It seams like an easy fix that you are ignoring for very hard to understand reasons?

A family accountpremium subscriber using Android and windows here.

davidmul99

I agree with Spotify...it is indeed ‘not right now’’, it’s dead wrong.

I’ll try again, I think there are enough users mystified by this shuffle button. Use case is...I search for music,  I find an album. I want to play that album, as constructed by the artist, from song 1 to the last song. I can’t, my (paid) music service has decided that this is a silly thing to want to do. It’s some ‘freedom from choice’ design decision by a stubborn designer who believes they are right and users will eventually see the wisdom of their steadfast adherence to a big ugly green button that doesn’t do what they want. It is ‘not right now’, wasn’t right then, and won’t be right in the future.