Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
MadmanOnWheels

Chrisforberg,

Check page 50 for my idea to make everyone happy.

I would love a setting for this, OR having 2 buttons or a split button similar to what MadmanOnWheels has proposed would be fine with me to be able to have both prominent and available in the UI. Almost anything but the current state would make me happier.

"Just tap the first track" is not a Sweet Solution. It's unintuitive, a workaround at best. Look at other major music apps out there - they don't force you to tap the first track. When I first started using Spotify I had to search just to figure out this particular workaround. Don't make me think.

@MadmanOnWheels

1. The web version definitely has a shuffle symbol. So does the mobile version, at least on iPhone. Can't speak to Android, but I'm almost certain it would be there, too.
  2. "If I had a "Play" button on the mobile application, it would only respect the shuffle setting, if we manually set it, ech time." - where are you getting this from? If anything, you need to remember to turn shuffle off to get things to play in regular sequence again. I know you mostly use the mobile version but if you test the web/computer version for 5 minutes you'll see how it works.
  3. "It's funny how you consider it an eyesore, when it's a "Shuffle Play" button, but not one, if it were a just "Play" button. That's another hypocrisy in your side of the argument." - "Shuffle Play" from my POV is something in my face that I never use. It might as well be a banner ad (for Spotify, because it uses the Spotify brand colors…) – an ad that I see even when scrolling through the tracks on a longer album. That qualifies as an eyesore to me.

Paulmidders

I really like Spotify. Enhanced by the sound quality and true gapless play. However I find the large green shuffle button very distracting. I never would or would want to shuffle any albums I listen too. Please make it a least a menu option to remove it. Otherwise an excellent product. Thank you 

VintageKris

Dear Staff, I read you keep a close eye on this issue (as you probably do automatically as a standard on alle topics starting from a certain level of hits); but if I may ask a humble Q,  as from how many comments or customer requests you actually do something ?   Just to know how much longer I have to wait till someone out of the box opens his/her eyes ?

PeterJenkins

You'd think that with losing Premium users over this that there would at least be an option in the settings for Premium users to remove the Shuffle Play button or change it to Play. Sure leave Shuffle Play as the default, but give paying users the ability to opt out

steffilove

Why not show 'SHUFFLE' when shuffle is currently turned on and 'PLAY' when it's not? I want to hear albums just like they have been arranged by the artist and so i never turn on shuffle.

I read, a PLAY button is unnecessary, because it's just like tapping the first track. That's actually not true, at least for the Android version : put one song in the play queue, then choose an album and tap the first track. Spotify will play this

1. First track from album

2. Enqueued track

3. Other tracks from album (in album order)

That's i would like to see a PLAY button that simply plays the album and destroys whatever was in the queue before.

lopperma2

Sometimes, Especially with large playlists for particular moods or themed collections shuffle is nice. For lots of other purposes, it is not usefull. Why can't we have both as paying subscribers?

There is just a couple of things that one might want to do when looking at a playlist or album in the app:

1. Play it in the original order

2. Shuffle it

3. Queue it (in the original order)

4. Add it to a playlist

5. Download it for offline playback

1 and 2 are probably the most common and should be readily available.

My suggestion would be to turn what is the big green shuffle button today into a more sophisticated kind of widget:

-swipe it (left or right) to change it between shuffle and play and remember theh state individually for all albums and on a per-playlist level. 

- hold it to reveal additional functions as a flyout menu for enqueue, download and add-to-playlist or hold it to open the (...) menu

And that is just one way to do it... there are so many possibilities for making this shuffle button into something more useful

kg2k1

Wow, 52 pages of people saying they find the big 'shuffle play' button to be a UI disaster, and still Spotify aren't listening.

I'm currently in the 'premium trial' period. The main reason I signed up was to play albums properly in order, but the fact that Shuffle is still the default is a deal breaker for me.

I'm going to keep looking around for other music services.

Bye

kg2k1

Yeah, this complete non-apology and faux concern is exactly why you can go and **bleep** yourselves.

Apple have figured out how to have a 'Play' button and a 'Shuffle' button side by side. Why can't you? Idiots.

insincere.jpg

kg2k1

Yeah, I didn't say **bleep**! I said Eff You See Kay.