Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Separate Streaming Quality for Wifi and mobile Data

I use Spotify when I'm at home (connected to wifi) and also when I'm away from home (connected to limited data connection - 100MB per day), and every time I must remember to change the streaming quality from settings (Android app).

It could be useful to have a setting for choosing wifi streaming quality and another setting for data connection streaming quality

Updated on 2020-11-26

Hey everyone,
Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes to this idea.
We're pleased to confirm we're setting this to implemented.
It's now possible to split Streaming into Cellular Streaming and WiFi Streaming via the Settings Page > Audio Quality, on iOS and Android!

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hey folks! This is still very much under consideration by our teams. As soon a we have more info about this we will post here. Thanks for your feedback! 

Exzimbo

Does anyone know if this adaptive streaming option is available? i.e. extreme quality for e.g. when on wifi and a lower quality when on mobile data? I can't find such a setting anywhere.

Thanks

jwv

@meahtenohacan you enlighten us on why it is so hard to implement this?

I mean, just check the status of the wifi connection, if it changes to 'connected' switch to the higher quality and vice versa. Are there any caveats causing this functionility not being part of Spotify for years already? Just curious as a software engineer myself..

kraemder
I'm gonna assume the only caveat is that Spotify is a big corporation and there's nobody specifically in charge who cares, has the authority and I'll say intelligence to say this feature needs to be done and assign someone to do it. But what do I know. (I'm not a software engineer)
Exzimbo

..I guess the really BIG tragedy is that FOUR years have passed since the fee-paying clients were told that this was "very much under consideration". That's downright dishonest; not unless Spotify's standard lead time for, "very much under consideration" is 4years?? Go figure.

ferrum

@Exzimbo check when it was set to under consideration mode... three weeks ago.

Btw. personally I'm happy they think about it seriously. Automatic option has been on for only 2 years iirc, so it's an update which is great. 

saboechi

The extreme quality streaming also takes more of their upload bandwidth so that's probably why they disencourage it by making you either pay for it in mobile data or change quality every time you switch from WiFi to mobile data and back all the time, which is obviously ridiculous.... sad but probably true...

redbox__1975

This would be a VERY useful enhancement.  I have been meening to suggest this for a long time and am very glad that someone has already raised it.  Please add my vote to the list of 'future very greatful users' for this development.

MrKato

Any updates on this? It's been 4 years

MrKato

Any update on this. It's been four years.