[Mobile] Toggle for Cell Data Streaming

Today I used 1/4 of my cell data without realizing, and this is not the first time I notice until it's too late. I use Spotify every single day, and on most of them I'm going in and out of my home several times a day.

The only reason I use the "Offline Mode" toggle is because I don't have an unlimited data plan or unlimited money, so every MB counts.

What I really would love to have is the option to toggle cell data use. Either by blocking all cel data use across the app, or just avoiding to use it for streaming. That way we wouldn't have to remeber to enable and disable offline mode everyday (as in my case). I personally would have cell data blocking always on, and never use offline mode again.

Updated on 2019-09-01

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-09-01

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Casual Listener
  • Why do we need to keep opening new ideas. Can they just reopen "inactive idea"?

This would help me so much. I have a system going where I have my daily mixes, release radar, and created playlists downloaded, the mixes and radar change every day/week, so when they automatically download over WiFi I can listen through them and add songs to my playlist. But I have to keep switching offline mode on/off when I leave/get back home and it's very annoying. Cellular Data Use toggle would be so much more convenient.

Casual Listener

Personally I don't think we should even have to toggle anything.  If I download a playlist and listen to it, regardless of a WIFI connection or just having a cell connection, Spotify should by default use the downloaded content.  Isn't that what downloading it is for?  Seems so bizarre to me that it would stream the playlist that is sitting right there on the device already.  What a waste of bandwidth.  We shouldn't have to toggle offline mode or anything really IMO.

Composer

The ability to turn off data for streaming would be super helpful, just having data on for searching up artists and songs, but not playing them

I really do not understand it and it really sucks. Exceeded my data plan again because I forgot to switch to offline mode whwn not on wifi.

Automatic switching to offline mode when out of range of wifi is so basic feature and requests for it are reposted again and again and again that I tend to suspect Spotify is ignoring these requests by purpose.

Hey guys @Spotify what is so complicated to include this basic feature in the app? There are millions of Spotify users who do not have unlimited data plans. Or is there some agreement with mobile operators behind to generate additional income for them through users' extra payments for exceeding their monthly data limit?

There is partial workaround for Android app - switch to online mode and block cell data usage for Spotify app in Android data usage settings. This will, however, disable searching / browsing through artists when oot of wifi range.

Would be much better to have a "soft offline" mode with disabled music streaming and enabled searching / browsing and possibility to download / synchronize offline music when on wifi.

Casual Listener

That workaround is interesting, but it's amazing that you have to do something like this to get the product to work the way it should.  Brutal in fact.