Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] View & Play local Files on your Device directly in Spotify

So as already implemented on the desktop version, it would be nice to use the spotify app all in one as a media player. for example, Prince's music is not avalible for streaming, having the songs purchased locally on the device and being able to play that content along with my own spotify songs would be nice to have.

Updated on 2022-02-18

Hey folks, good news!

If you have tracks saved locally on your mobile device, there's now an option to play these audio files through Spotify on Android. 

You can find more info about this here.

Due to system restrictions, we don't have a timeline for a release on iOS at this time. We'll update you here if that changes.

Cheers

Comments
westonf38
I have not tried that specifically but from my experience with trying to
manipulate the downloaded files in Spotify, this will not work. Locally
downloaded music through Spotify is not saved as regular audio files like
the .mp3 format. They are specially encrypted files that will only play
through the Spotify application. If they are saved on the SD card in that
format that Spotify forces you to save them in, then they will only play
through Spotify. Your phone or other computer will not be able to recognize
or play the file type on its own.
Deezkeeze

Well unless I did it wrong. I tried it and didn't work. I do only want to play through Spotify, but Its not letting me. The songs that are local files on my computer are blacked out. Basically I just want those songs to play through spotify on my phone. Is this implemented? Or does some loop around stuff have to be done?

westonf38
The Spotify application on your phone will not play local music files, only
those that are directly from Spotify unfortunately.
JacobResch

i need this pleeeease

Rynil

I don't understand why this isn't already a feature since it's on the desktop version.

jeff533

This feature would seem to be the only way to make local files portable. I tried EVERY solution offered from Spotify for syncing local files from desktop, but still could not get all the files I needed (either it was the download limit or other issue I was unaware of, of which the Spotify app didn't notify me). 

Please consider this as an option as it would make it so much easier to transfer a bunch of non-spotify files to a mobile device while using the Spotify interface and integrate them into spotify playlists. 

Thanks!

21_il-x05m2k2

This not being a feature on the mobile version is kinda shocking. What happens when a user doesn't have a computer?

Gh0stShell

I think this would be very great. There is a bunch of artist's which are not at spotify. But I think this is not possible on iOS devices and only on Android.

ongeelim

I would like to also support this idea, and I want to voice my dissatisfaction with Spotify. 

I have a lots of local songs that I need to "migrate" to Spotify. While most of them can be found in Spotify, remaining songs are either not available at all, or blocked in my country (Both of them are something Spotify can't control). 

And because of that, I would like to add the remaining local files from my mobile into my Spotify apps. Currently the only (tedious) way to do that is my adding local files via desktop version of Spotify and then sync to mobile, and that method only works in premium version

I don't really mind with the ads in betwen musics, or no playback capability, or limited skip funtionality in free edition, but I don't really understand why do I need to pay just to add my local files that are not available or blocked in my country to mobile.

If desktop version can add local files, have playback functionality, unlimited skip functionality in free version, I don't see why you can't even have a feature to add local files in mobile for Android version. 

Please consider adding this functionality (for free, and again, I don't mind having ads playing in between my local files). 

GTLazer

I can't believe this isn't already a thing. I don't own a computer (I use work devices instead), so I currently can't sync my local files. I'm not angry; I'm disappointed.