Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] View & Play local Files on your Device directly in Spotify

So as already implemented on the desktop version, it would be nice to use the spotify app all in one as a media player. for example, Prince's music is not avalible for streaming, having the songs purchased locally on the device and being able to play that content along with my own spotify songs would be nice to have.

Updated on 2022-02-18

Hey folks, good news!

If you have tracks saved locally on your mobile device, there's now an option to play these audio files through Spotify on Android. 

You can find more info about this here.

Due to system restrictions, we don't have a timeline for a release on iOS at this time. We'll update you here if that changes.

Cheers

Comments
crumbs

edit: lol i posted this to the wrong question and can't delete it yeet sorry

ChrisAhlund

I can't open, delete or reinstall Spotify on my old crappy computer anymore so I can't sync my local files to my phone. So getting your local files directly from your phone would be great Spotify! 

Vik043

I would also like to see that feature, with addition of organising the libray in folders, as this is how I have been doing with mine. 

TheGuyWho

When is this one going to be implemented? It's annoying going to different apps to listen to different music.

Svetlovska

I second these emotions. I have a lot of very obscure titles from the 80s when I was a music journalist saved in ITunes (soon to disappear) , and rarely if ever use a laptop these days. It seems bizarre that I can't integrate otherwise unavailable music I lawfully hold locally on my IPad within Spotify, but can bop back out to ITunes Music on the same device and listen to it there, using the files I painstakingly uploaded over the years. I prefer Spotify in every way to ITunes but still get pulled back to it just because of this one simple thing, which has been an issue in Spotify since forever. It is secretly some kind of licensing issue? Surely if you allow sideloading of lawfully held material via PC then there should no issue also allowing it via tablet or phone? Laptops are dying as a thing - when will Spotify recognise this?

connor321

It looks like this is (very very slowly) being tested. My brother has the option on his phone to add files from the device, but I don't.

Other people report the same thing here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/No-import-button-on-Android-device/m-p/4745662

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Import-local-files-on-Android/m-p/1409019

Hopefully Spotify hurry up and release this or I'll be changing to Apple Music at this rate.

BSims

This is absurd that this isn't a standard feature.

Goodman
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2019-10-22

Hey folks.
Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!
We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. 
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

November, 2019

And nothing yet... Even Deezer has it at this point. Come on, spotify...

cardinal4

If your 2nd device is a mobile device, and you have Premium account

1. Use Desktop to add your local files to a playlist

2. Ensure your 2nd device is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Desktop

3. Make the playlist an offline playlist

4. The playlist, including the local files, will be downloaded and cached on your 2nd device

5. Done!

If your 2nd device is a Desktop, and you don't have Premium account

1. Put your local files in cloud storage (e.g. Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive)

2.Add your cloud storage folder as one of the sources of local files in Spotify

3. Sync your cloud storage onto your 2nd device

4. Add your cloud storage folder as one of the sources of local files in Spotify

5. Done!