Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] View & Play local Files on your Device directly in Spotify

So as already implemented on the desktop version, it would be nice to use the spotify app all in one as a media player. for example, Prince's music is not avalible for streaming, having the songs purchased locally on the device and being able to play that content along with my own spotify songs would be nice to have.

Updated on 2022-02-18

Hey folks, good news!

If you have tracks saved locally on your mobile device, there's now an option to play these audio files through Spotify on Android. 

You can find more info about this here.

Due to system restrictions, we don't have a timeline for a release on iOS at this time. We'll update you here if that changes.

Cheers

Comments
Mr_Gamer_Geek

Wow Spotify, keep it up with that lack of adding decent quality of life systems to your app that improve user experience.

Woo yeah!

Please.

Just add the feature.

It's embarassing that you don't already have it.

I have second hand embarrassment from this.

Please.

electrocutus

This is a feature that is sorely lacking on mobile. I have local files on my phone. It appears that the only way to be able to listen to them on my phone is:

1 - upload them from my phone to my desktop

2- create playlists on my desktop and add the local files to them

3- on my phone, potentially delete the local files to save space

4- on my phone, download each of the playlists I created.

So it looks like I am force to upload eveything to the desktop and download it back to the same device. Very time consuming and a waste of bandwidth. Is there really no other way? I have music that is not available on Spotify, so this is very impractical.

And BTW, my laptop is a Chromebook, so there is not even a desktop Spotify available for it. I can do everything on my Chromebook, but apparently not listen to local music with Spotify 😞

ChrisAhlund

Come on Spotify! 

Tuxxx

What about a decent display and file management for local files? Like album view? That is something so basic, that every free player can do it. Why not a player i pay for? It is not something complex like changing an algorithm for people that dont know what they like or something..

People with a big local library care for it and have them tagged, applied album art,... ready to go. 

Local files can be played on mobile, if they are "downloaded" on PC and Phone. Not very elegant but at least it works. 

S_Woods

Please! 

I mean, WHY NOT??

AuctusXV

Youtube Music and Apple Music already have that feature. We already at 2021 and still they're not adding Local and Cloud files which is a MUST!

Plazmex8

This should be a part of a Cloud files feature!

Cloud files - upload your songs that don't exist in the Spotify library to a personal cloud space in Spotify so that those files can be played on ANY device, especially on Spotify Connect devices, because right now there is no way to listen to any of our local files on Spotify Connect home speakers! This is ridiculous! Spotify is one of the biggest music platforms and is lacking this basic feature that even Apple Music and Youtube Music have!!! Come on Spotify, We are almost in 2022! This is a must.

tadzio3

How long can you wait for this feature on Spotify? It should be the standard! All these years and nothing changes.
I use Spotify Connect a lot and can't play the songs I have in my local files there. It must stop! If nothing changes, I will move to the competition that has the opportunity. And I have a large library of items that are not on Spotify.

Katerina
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2022-02-18

Hey folks, good news!

If you have tracks saved locally on your mobile device, there's now an option to play these audio files through Spotify on Android. 

You can find more info about this here.

Due to system restrictions, we don't have a timeline for a release on iOS at this time. We'll update you here if that changes.

Cheers

aneki

On iOS this feature is limited to the iTunes library, which you can't touch without connecting the iDevice to a computer. This is so fundamentally broken and regressive that I can only imagine it was implemented by someone who's never used a third-party music player on iOS. Spotify should either have a folder that audio files can be dropped into or register itself as a handler for them.