Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Move the Library experience out of the side bar

The Idea Guidelines specify we can't request a rollback. So that's not what this is. I'd like to propose an exciting new update to the current interface: move the library out of the sidebar, and into the primary pane on the desktop application. Moving the library to the main pane will give more screen real estate to the primary function of Spotify: managing and enjoying a modern, digital music Library.

This new, exciting idea also keeps in mind the fact that laptops and desktops are not phones! This change would make good use of the extra screen size available to us while using the desktop experience, instead of repurposing a phone experience in a place it has no business being!

Lastly, this idea would also provide users the benefit of no longer screaming into the void while using Spotify in the future!

Updated on 2023-06-12

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-05-24

Hello @braedonsz,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

theodosiaprevost

Revolutionary!! Spotify, hire this person. They know what the people want.

MiguelNovelo

The current desktop version makes me really sad. Hope we can move the library out of the sidebar.

Puglifiled

This idea creates a whole new meaning for the word "experience"!

ymmv99

What a terrific idea! I bet just about everyone running Spotify on a computer instead of a smartphone would love app updates that make better use of the additional screen estate of a computer monitor.  But why stop here? There's no real reason to put the name of the artist and the song title in the same column. On a computer screen you've got so much space you could have TWO separate columns instead of one. That would be a nice addition too, wouldn't it?I That would make the application more user friendly and would improve the UI.

CaptainLowBear

I was just playing around with the UI and there is a way... or at least a workaround. 

Drag the left side menu to the right to increase in size, all folders will be shown, then chose list or grid view. 

I guess the idea was that you can always browse through the entire library and look at playlists the same time. I'd still like the option to view folders on the right (you know sort stuff) But this is workaround is at least something

So Needed! 

Don't get me wrong, I like to overhaul of the side menu on desktop. The add playlist button and the easy way to rename folders is really handy and overall it looks cleaner.

Yet, with a smaller screen you can only view four folders at a time. Sometimes I need a little to remember where I saved what, so a bigger overview helps identifying the right folder/playlist, especially for those with more folders and playlists.  This feature is so important, most content apps/websites allow you to view your entire library on a large section. 

XiloX

Removing the ability to browse my own library in the main panel seems like an entry in r/badUIbattles... that was a very dumb choice to make...

While i'm at it, when you are inside a folder don't make me have to aim at the tiny back arrow to go back... renaming the folder should be accesible by right click or by the 3 dots (like it already is), left click should "go back" just like the arrow...

Duellator

I'd like to add to this, and suggest moving the "library experience" out of Spotify entirely, including mobile. This exciting new idea will reduce information contamination between different types of media (playlists, albums, songs, etc) and allow the user to view their library how they want to, by selecting "albums" or "playlists" from a dropdown tab, just like how it used to be which is an exciting new UI idea I just came up with.

Maleko13

What a joke. This app and their engineers are the worst UI/UX people on the planet. Who wants to manage their entire music base from a tiny left pane? How many people saw this and said "yeah that looks good!"? Spotify's UI "improvements" are the worst of any app, even Instagram. 

Spotify, just go on the forums here and propose your changes to users before doing something as brain dead as this design. Sincerely, all Spotify users. Where's Elon when you need him?

morgmitc

we NEED this!!