Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Only selected Playlist Authors for Collaborative Playlist

Hi!

Recently, me and a few friends have started to get this kick ass playlist together of the music we all share and like. Obviously Spotify is the best way to do this. However, a playlist can only be managed by one single user.

Wouldn't it be a great idea that the 'founder' of the playlist can assign co-authors?

Would love to hear the feedback!

Hey everyone,

We're happy to announce that you will soon have new options for managing collaborative playlists - they are rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks.

Users will have the ability to review who currently has access to individual playlists, share collaborative playlists with large public groups, or keep them small and private for that special tightly-knit group of friends.

You will be able to:
  • Pick your favorites. As a playlist creator, you can now invite or remove users from collaborating on your playlists, meaning there’s more control over who has access to editing the content you love.
  • Share privately. You can now set your collaborative playlists to private, so no one can view, search, listen to or share a playlist– except for those chosen few who have been invited or given collaborative access.
  • Change your mind? At any given time, a playlist owner has the power to see, add and remove who gets to collaborate and follow their playlists.
For details on how the feature works, see:

Because of this change, this other idea is also being implemented. 

If you don't see this yet, don't worry. Just make sure to keep your app up to date and it should be available for you soon. 

Thanks for giving us your feedback in the Community.
Comments
jthorpy07

So, my best friend and I wanted to create a shared playlist for recently found and 'banging' songs.

I know how about the collaborative playlist feature, which when shared with someone allows those with the link to add and delete songs from that playlist.

What we found annoying was that you can't make a collaborative playlist public for people to see. 

(I know that's so the general public can't just mess around with your playlist).

So, what we think would be great is if you could co-author a public playlist. So that our followers can actually see us listening to that playlist on their activity feeds. Then, if they view the playlist they can see that not just one person authored the playlist, but also they can see who added what songs to to the playlist like this:

collabspotify.png

This would also mean that people can follow and listen to that playlist if they wish but cannot alter it themselves. 

I know this kind of idea has been promoted before:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Multiple-Playlist-Authors/idi-p/201374

But that's been 3 years now and nothing has happened. Plus, I think I've added to what exactly that spotify wanted to happen. 

jthorpy07

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Playlists-Multi-Author-Playlist/idi-p/1277...

I've tried submitting a similar idea myself as this is something I'd really like to see happen! Obviously this kind of idea has been around for a while so I thought resubmitting something might help... I don't know...

jthorpy07

I've just noticed that it does show who added what songs to the playlist on iOS! So surely it can't be too hard to implement this on desktop?

2016-01-20 16.49.10.png

EilerWessel

I wish there was a way to open up for contributions to a playlist without enabling the whole world to to so.
I want to share a list with a group, (preferably that group only), and let them add music to the list. This must surely be something more people want implemented? If this list stil could be secret and hidden to anyone not invited or shared with, that would be a bonus.

Is the problem sharing the playlist link, and that that link still could be passed on to others who would then gain access? Well, I am willing to risk that, at least I get some control within the group.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now
Updated: 2016-01-28

Hey everyone, Spotify Staff here. We don't have any current plans to allow multiple playlist authors. Of course there is the ability to create collaborative playlists with your friends, which you can learn about here. This idea will remain open for new kudos and comments, thanks everyone.

BoRo

I also like the idea of list of users I'd like to put their music into my shared list. Recentrly there are some users that put some other songs on my shared playlist, and its becoming a spam. From time to time i have to look at my list to see if there is some unwated input.

Wchich gets kinda anoying since the same titles and artists occur.

If the music pasted was simmiliar to the theme I wouldn't oppose.

By manageing users which can put their music in, it would be much helpfull.

monahancj

Sonos does by virtue of not having any account security on the device.  If you're on the same network you can control it.

I got a Sonos Play:1 a couple of Christmas' ago and the following New Year's we had some relatives staying over.  The half a dozen teenagers had a blast adding songs to the Sonos' "playing now" playlist all night as multiple DJs.

robreedrob

It makes little sense to have a totally public collaborative playlist but not a selectively collaborative playlist. Spotify's own description of collaborative playlists suggests as much.  It is sold as:

Team up with your friends and music comrades to create and edit the ultimate playlist.

That makes more sense than…

"Team up with your guess is as good as ours. Who knows. Everyone can collaborate or no one can. So you better hope you and people you know don't put a lot of time into a collaborative playlist just to have random others can in a muck it all up, because then you're out of luck."

Team up with friends sounds better. Now if only that feature existed.

Thanks!

jayfisq

This idea could create nice connections and collaborations between playlistmakers, followers & listening users in the community ❤️

When the inbox comes back people can send & recommend tracks to be added on praised playlists

FreaKBeatS_EDM

Your persistence not to allow such a simple feature is sad and shows that Spotify does not care about its everyday users. You allow this on public playlists endorsed by Spotify, so not allow this by the common Joe?