[Music] Add an official Album Pre-release Feature, so no Singles are needed

Right now, when an artist releases promotional singles for an upcoming album, they have to relase the track as a seperate single, as seen in the photo below.

In Apple Music, promotional singles are dealt with differently. The album is fully put onto the service, but only the promotional singles are avaiable for streaming. The user is still able to save the full album to their library, essentially "pre-saving the album.

This allows songs that are scrobbled to last.fm to have proper tags, as the music is tagged with the name of the proper album (as opposed to the promotional single).

It is also way more organized and allows the artist page and the user's music library to be less cluttered. And when the entire album comes out, the user does not have to unsave the old versions and resave the new versions. It's all automatic if it's categorized under an album in the first place.

IMG_4752.PNGHow Spotify deals with promotional singlesIMG_4751.PNGHow Apple deals with promotional singles

Marked as a new idea and edited the title slightly.

This is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
Rock Star 18
Rock Star 18

It seems to be already like that. At least, for some albums. But not all the labels seem to add in advance full albums with greyed song when they are not released yet.

Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17
Status changed to: New Idea

Marked as a new idea and edited the title slightly.

This is a repost of this inactive idea.

Spaceboy88
Roadie

100000x THIS.

The way Apple Music does it makes perfect sense. Navigating for individual singles is a terrible UX, and if you add them to a playlist and then the offical album comes out, things get all weird. This is a no-brainer.

trvrtnn

This and smart playlists got me to subscribe to Apple Music. When push comes to shove and it's time to give up one service these two features, while seemingly small, are probably enough to make my decision for me. As is, if Apple comes up with a "Discover Weekly" feature I'd quit Spotify in a heartbeat.