Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
GeoffHill
That's exactly the point; if you can't hear the difference, then there is
no difference!
domtomlondon
Obviously not everyone will hear a difference. What's the big deal. Some of
us can, and want at least CD quality streaming. End of.
SvartSynt

Their is some cons and pros with Lossless streamed audio,

pros.

Can get out more of the music, in special if you listen to like e.g. Industrial or classical music. 

Cons.

Looseyless streming needs more data to stream (one Flac can be around 1260mb for one file)

Lossless audio needs special equipment to hear all the fine tunes (e.g. sonos or dali), so your skullcandy headphones don't do the Looseyless audio justice.

Veslin

Im going for Tidal HI FI now. I have compared Spotify Premium vs Tidal HI FI, and its a huge difference. Denon AMP and B&W speakers.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2017-10-27

Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this thread. We really appreciate it. We haven't updated the status in a while and we're here to let you know we think this is a Good Idea. This doesn't mean it is in our current timeline, just that we like this idea. If this idea does become a part of our plans we'll change this to 'Under Consideration'. Until then just keep leaving your feedback here so we can pass it on internally. Thank you!

artist2

Bye Spotify, I'm never ever coming back.

chapmantimm

😂 ahh, love that first post! 

chapmantimm

I'm down with the idea

Blueshound24

Yup, I'm outa here too. Good bye Spotify. I'm super impressed with Tidal's sound quality and cannot stand Spotify anymore. Life is too short to put up with second best. With my high end gear the difference is easily heard. 

markush8

Wow, what a lame comment from Spotify on the 27th of Oktober 2017! 😮 After they already tested the lossless version in April and it finally seemed to be available to public. Don't know what is still going wrong here. Obviously more and more long term customers are turning away from Spotify to other lossless services (including me) as there is still no offer provided by Spotify. This is very sad to say, especially since Spotify has been once the leader and innovator in this audio category.
Obviously "internally" there is shockingly still no understanding that is is not a nice to have feature rather than an essential business offer in that market. Internet bandwidth for some time already is no problem (and has never been for those customers interested in higher sound quality and willing to spend more on it) and sound hardware / loudspeakers widely available are delivering a much better performance to exploit the advantages of lossless files. 
So 2017 is the turning point anyway.