Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
chefboyct

@Jackster3 wrote:

This idea has been sitting here for the past 5 years and it's one of the most voted topic. Yet there's still zero progress being made about it. Spotify is a joke, they never listen to their customers.

Same thing happened to lyrics feature and many more great ideas. 

Sound quality is the only reason i'm switching to Tidal, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

I wanted to give you a like but I cannot seem to find the option at all on the drop down . .. Am I missing something ?

Jodokus

I’m trialing Tidal Hifi to match my carefully selected high end setup and I just hate how huge the difference is in sq.... I want to make it a minor issue, but i can’t. 

MDKing

FYI, anyone in the US who wants to try Quobuz: it's not as developed as Tidal, which is kinda surprising, kinda not. Sadly Tidal still doesn't have the same level of playlist managment as Spotify, which is all I want. It's dissapointing Spotify still hasn't caugh on to this 230+ deep thread.

There is, in fact, an audible difference between Tidal and Spotify due to the bitrate differences.

raceredstang

I like Spodify a lot, but the sound quality is well below the ability of my system.  I will likely switch to Deezer soon, if no plans to upgrade the Spodify service are announced.

abvolt
I've now got Qobuz and the sound quality is simply amazing this is the
first time listening to 24 bit HiRez Wow I noticed the difference right
away, This is well worth a try I love it..

Deezer and Tidal HiFi and Qobuz sound amazing.

If Spotify goes lossless (CD quality) it becomes a game changer, having both the best UI and best sound quality.

chefboyct

@abvolt wrote:
I've now got Qobuz and the sound quality is simply amazing this is the
first time listening to 24 bit HiRez Wow I noticed the difference right
away, This is well worth a try I love it..

How mich of the difference can you really hear CD quality vs 24 bits? I stream Tidal using BubbleuPNP to my Marantz SR5007 which is using Airplay (I believe the limitation is CD which is 44.1KHZ)?

To my ears, there can be a bit of a difference between CD quality and 24bit Hi-Res.

But the difference between lossy Spotify and CD quality on Tidal/Deezer is more obvious.

So even just CD quality coming to Spotify would be a huge improvement.

Ale3232

I would be interested when available or in testing phase

thx

Ale

forroati

I would also be happy to participate in testing.