Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Dragon666mac

How many votes will they need to create a Hi-Fi subscription?
The best method will be to opt out of Spotify Premium. I'll do it this week. Bye Bye.

I am switching to Tidal Hi-Fi.

adam2434

Kudos to Amazon for offering a lossless ("HD") tier.  I subscribed to the free 90 day trial yesterday.

Last night, I played music in Amazon Music HD that I had previously only heard in Spotify.  Maybe it's a placebo or psychological effect, but I felt that the Amazon Music HD versions were more enjoyable (more detailed, smoother, more expressive).  Again, not a scientific A/B test, but those were my perceptions.  I was impressed!  My daughter even commented that the music sounded more natural.

Here is the equipment chain: Marantz AV7704 pre/pro (Heos app) -> Rotel RB-1582 MKII amp -> Polk Monitor 7C's in my garage (with upgraded crossovers and tweeters).

Most of my listening is FLAC file rips from my own CDs, but I do supplement with Spotify Premium.

So, Spotify, please offer a lossless tier!

I would prefer to stay with Spotify because I have time invested in making playlists.  However, if I continue to experience more enjoyable listening with the Amazon Music HD trial, I'll likely switch and just rebuild the playlists in Amazon Music HD.

fischkopp1403

Now that Amazon Music has 16/44 and 24/96 too, please give us at least an update where you are with this at the moment. The last status update dates back to 2017.

bzero

I'm waiting for this since years now... However I don't think that Spotify will bring this within the next few years. Because otherwise this idea would have status 'Under Consideration'... 

abvolt
Your hearing the music correctly Hi Res is miles above Spotify's mp3
quality..enjoy I left months ago for Qobuz but I'm sure going to give
Amazon HD a try.
Johnolander

We demand a new update on this topic spotify, your last update were in 2017. That is not what I call caring about customers. Do you even read the posts ? 

We are really disappointed, you guys should do better 

Blueshound24

This idea ain't gonna happen.

I have thoroughly loved Tidal since leaving Spotify, and now have really been liking Amazon HD. I plan on dropping Tidal due to Amazon HD is such a good savings over Tidal, and I do like a good deal. 

subfader

Amazon HD is great news. So soon Spotify might be the last big player without lossless audio and in streaming service tests they will be almost last place in the sound quality category, just before YouTube Music.

There is a chance that Spotify will be fine with that. Compared to all others their USP is still their (low quality) free version.

But I think Spotify orientates more on what Apple Music does. But 256 kbps m4a fits their Bluetooth and Airplay ecosystem perfectly. Only a new lossless Bluetooth standard like Sony tries may make Apple Music go lossless.

Spotify and Apple Music are mostly consumed on non-HiFi devices (or connected in low quality like Bluetooth). Why should they offer lossless globally when only 1-2% of the customers would benefit? And even YOU listen to Spotify on your mobile using Bluetooth quite a lot.

So why does Amazon make that move now? Echo is not benefitting from it. And I can't imagine many people listing to Amazon Music in their browser(?) on their stationary computer.

And my last thought: Lossless is not solving Spotify's financial problems which is mostly getting users out of the free program to the premium mode. Millions or people don't even care for a 96 to 320 kbps quality bump.

I took out my vote on this idea. I just don't care anymore about Spotify. Plenty of good options these days: tidal, deezer, qobuz...

I'm really happy with Tidal.

PS: is not going to happen:

Google it: 
Spotify Dismisses Amazon's High-Definition Audio – Variety

mjbk88
“So I wouldn’t say never,” he concluded, “but we think that in terms of what consumers are looking for, it’s not something that’s really resonated.”

Wow. Spotify has no idea what their customers want. Considering the absolute lack of changes to the platform in the last 5 years, I think the only thing they believe resonates with customers is them handing fist fulls of money over to Spotify.