Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
PaulMac

Strange how the VP neglected to mention the many things that no longer resonate with Spotify.

Such as listening to its users. Or implementing changes that actually improve rather than downgrade the service.  Or providing updates to these threads that in most cases haven't seen a single word from Spotify representatives in years. 

WouterJFAerts

This is unbelievable. Music is all about feelings and experience. I understand that this is not a feature for the masses, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t primordial for any music service taking itself serious.

When listening with somewhat audio setup (not even really high end) you still miss te crisp sound from cd/vinyl; even when streaming through a decent DAC.

Please place some real audio enthousiasts at the top alongside those powerpoint/money/profit suits.

teqteq

I can only test what’s available in Australia but...

• Tidal - has had HiFi (CD) and Master (HD/Blu-Ray) quality on mobile devices for some time now. But their support has proven to be something of a black hole, their library patchy, and if you like to manage your library in playlists it’s a nightmare (I have 200 playlists though). No social features whatsoever. Excessive unbalanced promotion of US pop Hip-Hop like Kanye. Highest payment/track to artists. 
  • Deezer - currently rolling out HiFi (CD) across all platforms. I know iOS HiFi is already in beta. They don’t support as many platforms but once they give HiFi in iOS then I’m happy. Interface is good. Recommendations are a bit sketchy, and they lack a lot of features like creating a “radio” based on a song (some platforms have “automatic recommendations” that continue your playlist after what you queued is complete - not iOS yet). Oh and currently 2000 track Favourites limit (workaround is to use playlists more than Favourites cuz you can have 2000 playlists, but We’re working on convincing them to fix this crazy limit, but it’s been 2 years since requested). Social features are there but limited. 
  • Amazon HD - not available in Australia. Can someone with access review?
  • Qobuz - also not in Aus
teqteq

Ongoing discussion with Deezer about 2000 track limit:

https://en.deezercommunity.com/got-an-idea-50/favourite-tracks-limit-of-2000-too-small-and-only-show...

Add your voice if you want to switch to Deezer but the track limit will stop you. 

DanielBazak
Ok that's it! I've made my research and I'm off to the Deezer! It's seems
the be the best overall for me considering the Hi Fi sound, the support and
the user interface!
Aucluma

What about this Spot ify?

Qobuz drops MP3 streaming in US creating one CD Quality/HiRes price plan – Studio Premier eliminating its MP3 (lossy) streaming tier completely. Available now, Qobuz has streamlined its monthly offerings to one $14.99 plan that includes unlimited access to its entire HiRes and CD Quality catalogue and $12.50/month if you take out a yearly subscripton. With their maximum quality plan now available for one accessible price, Qobuz is the first streaming service to say goodbye to the increasingly archaic MP3 and is making HiRes and lossless the new standard in the belief that everyone deserves the best quality sound

adam2434

Yep to the post above regarding Qobuz.  Trialing Studio Premier right now and enjoying it with a Chromecast Audio connected via optical to my system.  It simply works, unlike Amazon Music HD, which is a flop in terms of hardware support.

Amazon Music HD in its current state was not a reason to drop Spotify, but Qobuz Studio Premier may be, based on my experience so far.

brucedeen

I'm trying the Amazon Music with HD and Ultra HD, and it's noticeably better.  If this isn't on the road map, my money will be going to Amazon.

Tdiz1

The fact that this does not exist yet on Spotify is a bit ridiculous. How many years will it take you guys to offer something that should’ve existed two or three years ago.

For one of the primary music streaming services in the world, your versioning rate is extremely slow. What are you guys doing? Why don’t you come out with new features every year like most software companies.

Like for example I have been requesting thumbnail album art with playlists for years! Never any change. Again, ridiculous. 

Blueshound24

I just may have to keep re-posting my post mentioning this article where the Spotify execs could care less about what we want: 

For those of you who haven't read this article in Varietydotcom, Spotify VP and head of investor relations said they are not interested in lossless streaming. So it's time to jump ship friends, like many of us have. Spotify DOES NOT CARE about improving their streaming beyond MP3 quality.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/spotify-dismisses-amazon-hd-high-definition-audio-1203338841/

This thread is a joke to Spotify's higher management. So to Spotify, here's what I think is funny, I sub to Amazon HD annual rate of $129/year which is $10.75/month and couldn't be happier. 

“We haven’t talked much about [a high-fidelty option],” he said when asked whether the company has plans to launch its own high-definition service. “If you go back and look at it, it’s not really something that’s been a big differentiator among the different services. It’s really about user interface, algorithms, playlists, discoverability and those type of things. “We think that in terms of what consumers are looking for, it’s not something that’s really resonated.”

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/spotify-dismisses-amazon-hd-high-definition-audio-1203338841/