Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
hakodopo

I am also in a trial with tidal and probably going to switch to them if spotify doesn't introduce hi-fi option soon. I love spotify UI and UX but at the end it is about the music not only the convenience.

Kirkyoung

I am now tending to use Tune My Music to transfer any recommended list in Spotify and then copy the IRL. Paste it onto T M M and then transfer into my TIDAL. Takes about 1-2 mins. I am hoping that TIDAL catches up with Spotify in it's algorithms but not great hassle transferring over!

Chazmus

I really think Spotify are losing so many customers to alternative services such as Tidal and Qobuz - it's one of the only reasons people would go for those services over Spotify as it's well known that Spotify has a better UX and music library. Please make this a thing Spotify! I'll gladly pay more for it!

mjbk88

I've been with Amazon Music HD for a few months now and regret nothing. Yes, the Spotify app is easier to navigate, yes, the recommended music algorithms are better, and yes, it would work a **bleep** of a lot better in my Google home. But, the reality is that the quality between Spotify and Amazon is night and day. With half-decent headphones it's noticable. With good headphones/hi-fi and an ultra HD track, the difference is staggering. Sorry Spotify, but you've lost a long term customer. I've a feeling only once you start to really feel a squeeze on your revenue will you bother to listen to your customers, because at least 20,000 think listening to 320kps is bullsh*t in 2020. 

wbearden1237

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

Any suggestions on the best way to copy Spotify playlists to Amazon?

Feras1996

More than 2 years without any movements. Currently using Deezer HiFi.

cl2solutions

It would be great to see this added to their timeline.  Mainly I would enjoy a hi-fi tier so I wasn't so conflicted with what Music Streaming Service to be loyal to. 

• Amazon Music HD has amazing quality 24bit 192khz recordings, different approach to UX, comparable library size, non-MQA high quality audio.
  • Tidal has a decent blend of algorithms, UX, library, and HiFi quality, MQA bittersweet.
  • Apple Music has the BEST local library implementation, playlist curation based on artist inspirations/aspirations, decent algorithms and library. Debatably better standard quality audio than Spotify (OGG 320kbps vs AAC 256kbps)
  • Spotify has some great algorithms/some confusing algorithms, fantastic UX usability, standard audio quality, and a fantastic community of curated public playlists with the ability to add album art.

Create a Spotify HiRes tier and the choice of streaming service for me and many others ("would be a no brainer" -DJ Khaled)
Matthillica

This thread is 300 pages long and still not a peep. Weak sauce, Spotify. Weak.

This is even a premium feature I'd pay for ON TOP of my premium plan. You're leaving money on the table and alienating your most die-hard fans. 

Hubris! It's gonna come back to bite ya!

PaulMac

Question for Spotify management team:
Do you want to be class leaders and virtually untouchable in terms of an overall music streaming experience?
Easy answer..you already have a great service but you NEED to give customers the option of high res streams AND increase the library cap.

But what do you guys actually do? Focus on podcasts and playlists for pets! Get a grip guys before you damage this company beyond repair.

jzzmusician

I spend $10 per month on Spotify Premium and have been a subscriber since 2015.

I spend $15 per month on Qobuz.

I spend $7 per month on Soundiz so I can import my Spotify playlists to Qobuz to get better fidelity.

Total: $32 per month.

Dear Spotify,

If you are anywhere near $20-$25 per month for lossless streaming I'd be a happy camper and would cancel my Qobuz subscription.  As it is, I'm thinking pretty hard about canceling Spotify. 

While the difference may not be instantly apparent on a 30 second A:B comparison, the reduction of listener fatigue over an extended period of time is significant. 

Please, it's time to re-think your business model, or at the least comment on this thread.