Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
abvolt
I agree also don't forget Qobuz's Hi Res catalog is the largest in the
world & their sound quality is simply unmatched..
adam2434

Well, this idea has now jumped to #2 most voted for live idea.

Sadly, there is no indication that this is a live idea within Spotify's organization.

donaldg01
  1. Spotify needs to have lossless music streaming. It's dam near 2020 and it's time to keep up with the other streaming services. Heck, even Amazon has launched their streaming service with lossless playback. Spotify's been around way to long now to not give its listeners the best sound quality possible. Get with the program Spotify!!
Ben187

I was a loyal Spotify customer for many years. I've been with Tidal for a year now. I find Tidal much worse in terms of its algorithms. But sound quality is much more important to me. You want me back as a customer? Then please wake up slowly.

dpzepp

Does anybody know what file type format such as Flac, Aiff, Wav, Alac Amazon music is using for their two HD offers of lossless audio music streaming?

adam2434

dpzepp, Amazon's HD is 16 bit 44.1 kHz FLAC  and their Ultra HD is 24 bit ranging from 44.1 to 192 kHz FLAC.

dpzepp

You know I called them? And the CS guy put me on hold and said he'll speak to who he refered to as the developers. When he returned, he said they told him all of their quality including their HD offerings is in mp3. Of course this made no sense to me regarding their lossless offerings. Is their another way I can find out what file format they are using rather than talk to their CS people? How do you know they are using flac? Where does Amazon say that or even some other place say that flac is the file format they're using?

wbearden1237
If you're referring to Amazon, all I can say is give the free 3-month trial a spin. The sound quality is incomparable to Spotify's Premium high quality streaming or downloads.

Silverburstjazz

Well, as far as the question about the format, my Denon says FLAC clear as day when I am playing files from Amazon Music HD.

But yeah, I really wish Spotify would go ahead and make this happen. The Spotify catalog and curation is still superior.

adam2434

dpzepp, with Heos in my Marantz processor, I have verified the resolution and format that is being received - 16/44.1 FLAC for HD and 24 bit 44.1/96/192 ( maybe 48 too, I don't recall) FLAC for Ultra HD.  This matches the quality badge in the native Amazon Music app, on a track-by-track basis, although you can't use the native app and get these resolutions with Heos.  You have to use the Amazon Music app version within Heos.