Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
chik0240

It's really a shame, when Tidal can do it at $98 HKD (around US$12.5) for monthly subscription of lossless music, how can spotify still not offer such an option. My only reason not to switch course is that I don't want an ever escalating monthly fee for different services and that my wife have a lot of korean or hong kong tracks which are not available in other services, but that might change soon

Tdiz1

Give Qobuz a try also. Kicks **bleep**. 

abvolt
Agreed I've tried them all and Qobuz is best in sound quality at 14.99 per
month for Hi Res plus the worlds largest catalog can't go wrong..
chik0240

Too bad Qobuz don't open to Hong Kong and the albums seems lacking of tracks in Asia region

Djdoja

Don't seem like lossless Spotify is going to happen. I check back every once in a while (after leaving for tidal)  to see if things changed, but notice Spotify don't even answer the request for lossless anymore(?). But I don't really blame them. They have got 100mil subscribers to ish sound quality, so why would they ad costs with a lossless option. 

Only way this will ever happen is if people who want lossless stop subscribing and use Tidal (or other) who provide good quality. Thinking that lossless (which is expensive for a music provider) will be added as long as people keep giving them money is a pipe dream. 

Unsubscribe! 

Tdiz1

I have unsubscribed. I’m now using Qobuz. 
Never really liked Spotify. 

I have Apple Music for my family and Qobuz for me, the audiophile of the family. 
All set. 

M-k

Spotify how long are you make us wait for lossless music.. we have been waiting and waiting for you to add this feature.... Getting tired of waiting... Plz.

mlacy1358

If it does not arrive soon, I and my family, will be heading to Amazon Music

Tdiz1

If you’re doing a family plan, I’d recommend Apple Music. It sounds and works better than Amazon Music. 
I’d it’s just you, I'd recommend Qobuz.  Blows the doors of everything else sonically. I’m loving it. 

DaveTheStalker
I’m sorry, I have to disagree 1000%. Apple Music sounds like **bleep** on my Denon AVR-X7200wa using AirPlay compared to the native Spotify app. Apple Music is borderline MONO compared to what often sounds like it’s in surround sound on the Spotify Connect native app, but it’s not! The soundstage is extremely wide with the native app compared to using AirPlay for Apple Music or even Spotify from my phone or the $200 AppleTV 4K that my wife just got me. Use Chocolate Chip Trip as your test song. I am not exaggerating one bit when I tell you that AirPlay is borderline MONO!!!

Hey SPOTIFY, you need to update your app on AppleTV 4K PRONTO!!! I will not pay $20 a month for a single and most certainly not $30 a month for a Tidal hi-res family plan if AirPlay is going to neuter the stream and then interrupt it if I get a phone call!!!