Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
jhucx1

The other thread that was related to this topic was just closed as "solved"

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Hi-fi-lossless-playback-FLAC-offer/m-p/4674485#M1512085

I will post my comment from the other thread here just to help push this forward:

This (ossless playback)  is not something Spotify should just give us, but everyone on this thread is willing to pay more than they currently are for their monthly subscription.  Two years ago a beta/pilot program was announced. It made headlines on sites like the Verge.  And now many months later there has not been so much as a peep from Spotify about this.  We understand if the pilot didnt go well and the program has been scrapped, but c'mon at least give us an update.  Let us give you more money Spotify.  🙂

@jhucx1 wrote:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Hi-fi-lossless-playback-FLAC-offer/m-p/4674485#M1512085

I will post my comment from the other thread here just to help push this forward:

This (ossless playback)  is not something Spotify should just give us, but everyone on this thread is willing to pay more than they currently are for their monthly subscription.  Two years ago a beta/pilot program was announced. It made headlines on sites like the Verge.  And now many months later there has not been so much as a peep from Spotify about this.  We understand if the pilot didnt go well and the program has been scrapped, but c'mon at least give us an update.  Let us give you more money Spotify.  🙂

Like you, I'm happy to pay more for CD quality... the problem is only 12k people have liked this idea.... out of 100 million...

jbd00

Aha? And how many out of the 100 million do you think actually know these forums exists?

@user-removed wrote:

@jhucx1 wrote:

Like you, I'm happy to pay more for CD quality... the problem is only 12k people have liked this idea.... out of 100 million...

frankvanhuet

Was redirected from https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Hi-fi-lossless-playback-FLAC-offer/m-p/4679567#M1512382

Please add lossless. I'm now on Tidal account and really going to close my spotify account. The difference in audio quality is just too much. Even on my headphones (bluetooth ones!) I can hear a clear difference already.

HiFi lossless audio please 🙂 that would keep me with spotify as I love the good integration of your service with many other things.

jbd00

Welcome to the most depressing forum on the whole Spotify Community! (:

The forum where Spotify has not replied in two years pretending the forum does not exist ^^

@frankvanhuet wrote:

Was redirected from https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/Hi-fi-lossless-playback-FLAC-offer/m-p/4679567#M1512382

Please add lossless. I'm now on Tidal account and really going to close my spotify account. The difference in audio quality is just too much. Even on my headphones (bluetooth ones!) I can hear a clear difference already.

HiFi lossless audio please 🙂 that would keep me with spotify as I love the good integration of your service with many other things.

@jbd00 wrote:

Aha? And how many out of the 100 million do you think actually know these forums exist

No point us arguing - we both want the same thing 😉

Out of 100 million, I think it's a really high percentage of those that really want CD quality, have already searched and found this forum and have posted about it. High percentage that really care, but awefully low number.

So I fear it's a drop in the ocean, the number that actually want it. Even though we (small number) are passionate, I think we're just too small a number.

frankvanhuet

@jbd00 wrote:

Aha? And how many out of the 100 million do you think actually know these forums exists?

@Music2496 wrote:

@jhucx1 wrote:

SPOT ON! this is exactly the big problem. Only myself I already know at least 20 people who would really pay a bit more to have quality like the TIDAL HiFi account option. HiFi Lossless. However, they or don't know the forums and that you can vote for such things here or don't feel like spending the time and just go to TIDAL.

Also I've noticed that TIDAL is aggresivly marketing and pushing there services (at least here in Poland). You get with almost any cell phone operator nowadays 6 months of free TIDAL + free data transfer for the time of your contract for the tidal services. This makes a lot of people already just go to them and stay.

I think this is really a missed chance for Spotify by not having this option for extra pay available after all this time.

jhucx1

@user-removed wrote:

@jbd00 wrote:

Aha? And how many out of the 100 million do you think actually know these forums exist

Out of 100 million, I think 100% of those that really want CD quality have searched and found the forum and have posted about it.

So I fear it's a drop in the ocean, the number that actually want it. Even though we (small number) are passionate, I think we're just too small a number.

Very good point...I'm still willing to give them more money lol.  I am very curious what happened with the announced trial program too.  Was very odd that no media outlets ever followed up on that.  I haven't read through this entire thread so perhaps there was an announcement and I missed it.

johan-sson

@user-removed wrote:

@jbd00 wrote:

Out of 100 million, I think it's a really high percentage of those that really want CD quality, have already searched and found this forum and have posted about it. High percentage that really care, but awefully low number.

I think that many of the 100 million will sign up for the better quality if Spotify is doing the right marketing. There is always customers that want best practice even though the can't hear or see the differance. And I belive many Tidal users will go back  to Spotify.

But yes, maybe a drop in the ocean. But i belive the "drop" still wants some kind of response from Spotify.