Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
cubeover

I noticed it started to sound very good since last update.

Did you improve something? Tried looking up Release Notes but was denied access.

It now sounds uncannily like Microsoft Groove did.

The scene detail, soft round sibilants, improved - GOOD WORK GUYS!

How can I get access to Release Notes?

Hutchism
I've been on Spotify for years now and in general I love it. Wish we could have lossless. Did a trial of Tidal and currently subscribed to both. Would love to stay with Spotify, but I can't justify having 2 streaming services on the go. I could 'bare with' if I knew it was on the road map, but alas....
theveterans
For me with my iPod Touch as my main music player: ALAC CD rips (barely noticeable) > Tidal HiFi = Apple Music > Spotify If using my Surface Pro as music player: ALAC CD rips = Tidal Masters/HiFi > Apple Music > Qobuz Studio > Spotify If Spotify HiFi was introduced, it better have ZERO digital processing such as WASAPI/ASIO that ensures you get bitperfect playback like Tidal. Qobuz somehow sounded processed and not naturally sounding to me compared to Tidal HiFi and CD rips despite being ASIO enabled.
brandon112793

would love to see this feature available and would happily pay extra for it.

Smartyx
Cancelled Spotify Premium today, I will come back once they offer HiFi quality. Will happily pay 20 EUR per month for HiFi quality. (Dont need HiRes, just CD quality is enough for me). In the meantime I will use Tidal HiFi (20 EUR/month). Spotify´s apps and UI are still better than Tidal though, I would rate Spotify apps with 9 and Tidal apps with a 7. (out of 10)
HughHarrer

@Smartyx wrote:
Cancelled Spotify Premium today). In the meantime I will use Tidal HiFi (20 EUR/month). Spotify´s apps and UI are still better than Tidal though, I would rate Spotify apps with 9 and Tidal apps with a 7. (out of 10)

I cancelled several months back

The big thing I missed was the "Discover Weekly". Almost too much new music that I liked. Kept me from really getting into what I already had. Great stuff, though. Missed it.

Must say: The "My Mix" thing that Tidal introduced a while back was rough at first.

But it's gotten really good in the last few weeks. I have broad and eclectic tastes - so I'm not an easy customer.

Things have improved a lot. Interface a 7 vs 10?  Yeah, maybe. 9 out of 10 for me.

So . . . I don't miss much of anything.

Spotify is a wonderful service in many ways. But that are NOT uncompressed. And don't appear to care much (it's probably an expensive change with only a small percentage interested).

So, stop moaning here and go support a service that DOES care.

Blueshound24

@HughHarrer wrote:

@Smartyx wrote:
Cancelled Spotify Premium today). In the meantime I will use Tidal HiFi (20 EUR/month). Spotify´s apps and UI are still better than Tidal though, I would rate Spotify apps with 9 and Tidal apps with a 7. (out of 10)

I cancelled several months back

The big thing I missed was the "Discover Weekly". Almost too much new music that I liked. Kept me from really getting into what I already had. Great stuff, though. Missed it.

Must say: The "My Mix" thing that Tidal introduced a while back was rough at first.

But it's gotten really good in the last few weeks. I have broad and eclectic tastes - so I'm not an easy customer.

Things have improved a lot. Interface a 7 vs 10?  Yeah, maybe. 9 out of 10 for me.

So . . . I don't miss much of anything.

Spotify is a wonderful service in many ways. But that are NOT uncompressed. And don't appear to care much (it's probably an expensive change with only a small percentage interested).

So, stop moaning here and go support a service that DOES care.

I could not agree more!!! Happy 'Tidal' user here, and not looking back.

abvolt
Right on I did the same only with Qobuz Hi Res is amazing sounding..
Hespy

@meahtenoha 
@Katerina 
@Jacob 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social/HiFi-Lossless-where-are-you/m-p/4588694#M49763
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Subscriptions/Spotify-CD-quality-HIFI-Lossless-streaming-16bit-44-1...

Guys, seriously its time to sort your **bleep** out. Your getting left in the dust by competitors, its becoming embarrassing. 

We know you have the capability:

https://darko.audio/2017/03/lossless-cd-quality-streaming-coming-to-spotify/

Almost 15,000 users have requested this and will pay extra. We can all transfer our playlists away if absolutely necessary, but I for one love Spotify.

At least give some kind of update!

Thanks,

Hespy

PaulMac

Spotify is a great service. But after years being way ahead of the game they seem to have lost a lot of ground by concentrating their efforts in area's that the core users simply aren't interested in. Injecting hundreds of millions of dollars into podcasts is an improvement for the small percentage of users that listen to podcasts. Most of us however are here to stream music and that's where the development and investment should be focused. On cd/lossless quality. On bigger libraries. These are the areas where the competitors are making huge gains at the expense of this service.