Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Tdiz1

Yes. As best as I can tell, with the release of OS Catalina and the introduction of Apple Music (as separate from iTunes) it seems that Apple is now streaming Apple Digital Master files. These are 24 bit, uncompressed files. But in typical Apple fashion, they aren’t saying anything about it officially. But you can hear it. In most cases, Apples streams sound as good as Tidal or Qobuz at essentially 1/2 the price. 
Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer might sound slightly more lively and or natural, but the distinction is very small at this point. 
Anyone else experiencing this?

rsbyrs

That's probably the case. After testing it a bit more it's definitely not "real" lossless though. 

"Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer might sound slightly more lively and or natural" exactly.

hans-jürgen

Apple Digital Master is a new term for Mastered for iTunes, the encoding format is still AAC at 256kbps. As this forum seems to delete anything with links, google it.

CypherMax

Got 1 year free with Tidal HIFI - Forgot how good FLAC sounded. Come on Spotify, get on the bus!!! We Want This...

Tdiz1

Hans, that sounds right.

So I did more listening. Ive narrowed the field down to three in order of my preference:

1. Qobuz (phenomenally open, real, accurate. The best Ive heard.)

2. Deezer (very very close to Qobuz. Qobuz sounds slightly more perfect but its hard to say why.)

3. Apple Music (excellent overall sound compared to other mass-market streamers, Lacks the "air" around the sound stage that Qobuz and Deezer have. But its great in all other respects.)

Then there are other aspects. Each of these services have different personalities and added functions. One thing Apple Music nailed is the Lyrics system. It is the best in the industry. Deezer has a few inclusions of lyrics. Qobuz has zero. Deezer comes across a hipper than Qobuz. More youthful. Qobuz is more of a purist approach. Straight music that will knock your audio sox off.

Im glad I finally got around to this comparison. I didnt know what I was missing. Now I know.

If you are an audio purist, you owe it to yourself to try Qobuz and Deezer. They will put a smile on your face.

hans-jürgen

Deezer also indicates now what the audio quality of the current track is, check the lower left corner of the album cover in the play queue view. There are a few remaining tracks in HQ, i.e. MP3 at 320kbps, but not many, as their HiFi catalogue contains more than 52m tracks now vs. 56m tracks in HQ.

Anyhow, you have to actually leave the current track by skipping or going back to the last one before changing the audio quality, then restart the track again. Simply pausing or switching quality while still playing is not enough, so this new indicator is a good help when doing comparisons to prevent a placebo effect.

Concerning Apple's Digital Masters, they had to rename it, because there is no iTunes anymore. But the changes done to the files are the same as for Mastered for iTunes files like preventing digital distortion by lowering the volume  level before encoding it with AAC at 256kbps. All existing Mastered for iTunes files also have been simply renamed and moved to the new section in Apple Music.

2xPointless

How about real time synchin across devices?

2xPointless

And may I add none apple devices.

oriodj

Hi, the only reason I continue to pay Spotify subscription is because the catalogue is bigger than other services, but if they insist, not offering the Hi-fi quality 16 bit 44,1 Khz or more I will migrate to Qobuz or Tidal, it's a shame that in 2019 (we started to ask this, at least 6 years ago) they are still on beta testing!!!

Snurz

Agree. I’m in my 30-days trial with Tidal now. The FLAC / 16bit 44.1 / HIFI quality sounds just more “alive” and more “defined” to me (using wired headphones). At the end of the trial I’ll see if I migrate over. 

Common Spotify, I’m happy to cough up another tennie a month if you get lossless on offer for us.