[Music] Insturmental Tag

A tag like the explicit tag, but instead it denotes that the song has no lyrics. It would be nice for discovering new songs without having to listen through to see if there are lyrics.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 2.19.46 PM.png

Updated on 2019-01-05

Marked as a new idea.

Related Ideas

Comments
Rock Star 14
Rock Star 14
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-01-05

Marked as a new idea.

Austapasta

I don't wanna scrutinize, but it seems like this tag could get a little messy in some genres. What do you do when a song has no intelligible lyrics but has chopped up vocals to sound like an instrument?

cheetahspots01
Casual Listener
I don't think that chopped up vocals as an instrument should really count
as lyrics if there are no intelligible words or sentences.
Rising Star 13 katiek_
Rising Star 13

Great Idea! I think it should be catergoriezed specifically such as "instrumental beats" to search for what you are looking for specifically. 

Austapasta

Looking at the companies that contract with Spotify, most of them supply an instrumental/non-instrumental tag in their metadata. My only issue is that it might clutter the interface. If this was an option that could be turned on and off in the settings then I'm all for it!

Rising Star 13 katiek_
Rising Star 13

@Austapasta

I agree, it can clutter the interface if there are too many tags, and if the tags could be turned on and off in the settings, I would be all for it as well! 

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

The ability to turn that tag on and off would be nice, because I am not too keen on that idea ;)

I mean, it's interesting. I'd certainly look into how the content uploaders handle that tag on different tracks, such as those where a clip from a film or something has been sampled (not chopped up), or where an artist has used his own voice, sung a few lines of things that don't really make sense and then turned the vocal into one of a female.

I've visited threads of users wanting instrumental edm or electronica in general and it gets slightly difficult. Majority is instrumental, but often there are (sampled) vocals.

I don't know. :)

Austapasta
The EDM topic is one that I've been pretty active on in the past couple
months. Most of us have come to the conclusion that we need more subgenres
to classify songs.

I'm not sure what OP wants out of the instrumental tag, but it seems like a
good idea that wouldn't be too difficult to implement.
Rising Star 13 katiek_
Rising Star 13

I think this could potentially get confusing if spotify classifies songs because some songs could have more than one tag that doesn't belong in the genre of music. 

Oh I like this idea :)