Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Personal Rating of Music

It would be awesome if it was possible to give a personal rating to your songs and albums (and artists), and then sort them after it in your playlists.

Hope to see it in the future, it shouldn't even be that hard. 

Thank you!

Updated on 2018-10-02

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're marking this idea as 'Not Right Now' again for the time being, as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
MilesJ

Has this even be started?

This is why the premium subscription isn't worth it.

There should be features like on iTunes, this and other features like being able to cue up tracks, and show relevant tracks to a track by just right clicking on it stop me from continuing my premium subscription.

Miles

Brandabar

Please add this.  This is the feature I miss most by far from Itunes and occasionally makes me wonder if I should go back to Itunes or Winamp for home listening.

Micka
Personal rsting please!!!
_daniel_

I actually would like to ask to extend the idea to ALL songs, not only those in my playlists.

As many other people I too constantly look for new music, listen to one album here, another there, follow recommendations and similar artists, and after hours I end up with artists and sometimes even with music styles I wasn't even aware of.

As you guys may imagine, I mean you Spotify guys because your customers know what I'm talking about, after some weeks of exploring you may end up listening to an album you have already listened to but you don't realise right away. Then you recognise songs but you're not sure because it may sound familiar but you only know there is one or two songs of this artist in your playlists. Are the songs in your playlist just from listening to a radio station? Or did you listen to the whole album and didn't like the remaining songs? And what about the other albums? You don't know unless you listen to them (again) and again and again and the more artists you have listened to and the more you try to discover the more often you have to repeat and listen to artists and songs again and again and... you get the idea.

You guys may not know about us who constantly look for new music or you may have heard of us and don't really care as this thread started in 2012 and plenty of kudos don't seem worth a modification, but for us who like to listen to hundreds and at one point thousands of artists it means we have to deal with this problem ourself, because there is just so many different styles and artists to discover and they just don't stop recording and publishing more and more day by day. So to deal with this massive amount of music solutions are needed. I have started writing down each single artist I listened too as well as what I listened to from this artist and how I rate it etc. As you may imagine this is a huge pain and takes much of the fun of exploring new music. Especially when I have to check in many instances whether I listened to a particular artist before. I can't stress it enough, it's a pain! A huge pain! A MAJOR PAIN!

But I was a bad customer if I, as plenty others, weren't offering a simple solution to make me and others happy. Just introduce a new column which would allow me to simply rate each single song, not only in playlists but everywhere. For customers like me who go out into the wild 50% of the time they are using Spotify, this column would show instantaneously whether I listened to an artist, their songs and also which albums. Other customers could use it to rate which of their Jennifer Lopez songs they like most. And those who don't want to use the system at all they could just hide the column. It could be even hidden on default to avoid overstraining whoever you think may not be able to handle it.

I bet you also have a few creative people who could also come up with an idea of how to show whether I added a particular song to my playlist already, a small tick next to those stars, for example, or a different colour of the stars. This would also solve problems thousands of other users have.

Even though I'm pretty sure this idea will not be implemented in like forever, I would be more than happy to see Spotify proving me wrong!

Thanks
Daniel

PS. What actually buffles me the most is the following thing: I guess the vast majority of your customers who experience a problem or miss a feature will keep that opinion for themselves. Only a few people would ever go that far and look up a solution to their problem online. And of those few people, only the minority would be also willing to sign up to your community to be able to post a problem or give it some kudos. Considering that you only have a few thousand active members here (my guess based on 185 online members and 300 guests at this very moment) compared to 40 million active users (your press release, May 2014) you should be aware that each kudos is backed by hundreds of thousands of people who are aware of a missing feature and maybe millions of people who would appreciate the feature but haven't thought of it themselves. So get your ass up until your competitors do and deliver us an experience which is worth the premium!

Hideaki

I actually would like to ask to extend the idea to ALL songs, not only those in my playlists.

Well that's what I meant. I just wanted to add that, like you expressed, sorting possibilities is important. I share your pain about the thousands of songs turning into a big mess in my lists. We need more columns for sorting, like Itunes has.

I am a new subscriber to Spotify Premium and can't believe that rating songs or albums shouldn't be possible. Please add this!

JTobar

This is exactly what I was thinking about. Other music stores allow people to rate and comment on an album to let others know if it was good or not. I think it should be the same on Spotify. Based on ratings, not just what you recently listened to, can also help with providing recommendations about other artists.  

Joz3d

How does this not exist!?

Lozbo

personal rating + smart playlist (based on number of "stars")..

I'm afraid the Spotify team is aware that we need song rating system, but I think they don't like the idea. I think they afraid  that we would end up listening only to a narrow range of personally recommended songs. For example if a person X likes my 25 favourite songs it's very probable that I would like his other  favourite songs. This very precise recommendation system (like in Netflix) would make us kind of lazy - we would stop listening to new not yet recommended songs. I hope I'm wrong and there are just not enough kudos for this feature...