Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Personal Rating of Music

It would be awesome if it was possible to give a personal rating to your songs and albums (and artists), and then sort them after it in your playlists.

Hope to see it in the future, it shouldn't even be that hard. 

Thank you!

Updated on 2018-10-02

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're marking this idea as 'Not Right Now' again for the time being, as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
RonyDart

It would make curating Playlists a lot easier. I'm on my car, listening a playlist and the current song don't quite fit the playlist. Rating the song would give me the opportunity to latter review it, remove or reconsider.

RonyDart

I coudn't agree more. Let's make a movement and tell others that we know to vote for this idea.

Send this link to all your friends that uses Spotify and ask them to support our cause.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Personal-Rating-of-Music/idi-p/179102

@gallandjc wrote:

Hello. Frankly, this is a basic feature very convenient and implemented in most of competitive solutions... It is not a "Not Right Now" but a "No Brainer"...!

mrfart

It's been done many times.

But feel free to try again. @__spo__ #givememy5stars or something 😄

PJ_Soul

So today I was dismayed to discover that you changed the new-ish feature that allows us to tell you if we like or don't like a song in a curated playlist, like Discover Weekly. Before you had a very nice system where I could tell you that I like a song or not... and if I liked the song, I had a choice as to whether or not it was added to my song library. Well this morning this has changed so that if I tell you I like a song, I am FORCED to place it in my library (now called "Favorite Songs"). This doesn't work at all because I've basically reached the 10,000 song limit in my library! So now I am not able to tell you I love a song (which leads to you curating better playlists for me), because if I do, it will max out my "Favorite Songs" playlist! So you just made a new feature MUCH worse than it was. All I can do now is add the songs I like to a playlist (until I fill that playlist up with 10,000 songs too), but you'll never know that I love the song, and I assume this will lead to me getting really crappy curated playlists again. 😞 Honestly Spotify, every time you do something good, you manage to counteract it with a terrible decision. It's super disappointing.

oliver07

Same here I do not like that I am forced to place a song into my playlist only becaues I want to tell Spotify I like the song. 

andymar07

Can we get an update from spotify on this? How do we do that?

YoLaGarg

A much needed feature, can't believe it's still not here.

Setting a more granular ratings per song/album is needed.

I'd like to know if it's a song I like or a song I really like and be able to search for my five-star songs.

atava
I confirm that I'm in the process of switching to Apple Music.
The feature of star-based rating is there in AM (although not yet on the
Android app), and there's one more factor enticing me incredibly and
promising to make my music library much more practical than with Spotify:
smart playlists.

I am sorry to leave Spotify. I have been enjoying it for years as a Premium
user, and I got so used to it that it was almost second nature to me when
it came to music, but sometimes in life a "stronger" move is needed, and it
seems that some core features I've always envisioned (and looked forward
to) are there and working in Apple Music, while Spotify has chosen to
officially or half-officially snub them completely.
These are:
- a graded form of appreciation for songs (star-based rating or the like)
- automatic playlists

The latter is a very powerful feature in iTunes/Apple Music. It enables me
to do all sorts of automatic additions of songs to playlists (really,
anything), in a way that to someone coming from Spotify can only look like
some sort of wet dream.

There are also other pluses that I'm discovering while using the (desktop)
app, such as the complete customization of the info and view of songs in
playlists (in a WMP-like way).
If I end up finding a "tag" feature then I think I'm set up... being able
to tag certain songs so to put them automatically into a playlist (through
the smart playlists feature) is going to be perfect.

The catalog is a necessary part to me and for what I've seen so far it's
just as large and comprehensive as Spotify's.

So, as of now I'm trying to pass many songs (and rate them) from Spotify to
Apple Music (I'm a "manual" guy when it comes to this sort of changes,
although I know there are sync services out there).

I'm writing all of this for those concerned and yes, also out of a
resentment towards those making decisions at Spotify, who don't seem to use
the service as much or in as diverse ways as we do.

Cheers from Italy,
Antonio

mrfart

@atava wrote:
I confirm that I'm in the process of switching to Apple Music.

I'm writing all of this for those concerned and yes, also out of a
resentment towards those making decisions at Spotify, who don't seem to use
the service as much or in as diverse ways as we do.

Cheers from Italy,
Antonio

I would do the same thing if it wasn't for being stuck with a family membership.

MikeGahrns

Thanks Antonio for your thoughtful write up.  I agree with you that Spotify does not cater to those who love music and want to curate a collection.  I have only stayed with it as a means to discover new music, and do most of my listening to music through other means. I've long ago given up hopes of Spotify addressing this and adding the ability to rate songs.  I also use auto playlist functionality on my other music systems (but with out a rating system, auto playlists are pretty useless so never really pushed for them on Spotify)

Rating music is such basic functionality that the only reason that I can come up with that they do not address this is so that they can cut down on licensing costs and stream music that they want to feed us, as opposed to the music that we want to hear.  From your post it seems like Apple Music is now just a better system.  Initially, the other services catalogs could not compete with Spotify. But it seems like times are a changing....