Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Personal Rating of Music

It would be awesome if it was possible to give a personal rating to your songs and albums (and artists), and then sort them after it in your playlists.

Hope to see it in the future, it shouldn't even be that hard. 

Thank you!

Updated on 2018-10-02

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea!

We're marking this idea as 'Not Right Now' again for the time being, as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

If we have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.

Thanks.

Comments
MikeGahrns

kjbaumga summarizing things nicely and matches my experience almost exactly.  Substitute MediaMonkey for AIMP and it would be mine 100%.  What this means is that Spotify is regulated to something I will use occasionally if I want to discover new songs, but it will never be my main player and source of listening to my music since there is no way for me to organize and rate things so that the songs I like will be played.  What a shame.  I suspect the older artists would like to be collecting a royalty from the streams from spotify, which will never happen if I am playing from my old collection.

shajiaajain

Guitaa helped me alot to leaves chords. It was easy for me to learn leaves chords because of this site great features

agalmagalma

It really is a must for SERIOUS music listening. With so many music, both great and mediocre, it's a great tool to have in your arsenal. When I (very casually and amateurishly) DJed, it was great to listen to many, many music and have this option as a reference. I even used to have automated playlists that filed songs with 4+ stars by month and it was VERY useful. I don't know how we're 13 years from that version of iTunes and it seems like we get less and less options that don't seem to be very hard to implement, even when technologies have evolved tremendously in the past decade 😕

ProfChoda

I use media monkey purely due to spotify's lack of personal ratings. When I'm looking for new music, I usually quickly listen to the entire discography of the artist and then rate the songs that I like. If the artist happens to release a new album, if I ever go back to the artist there's no way for me to see that they have new songs that I haven't rated yet.  

+1000 vote for this feature!

This idea is 9 years old and has so far been ignored by Spotify.

... and there are other ideas that have not been realized.

I do not feel like it and leave this streaming service now!

All good!

JustMK

I believe it sould be implemented not for only liked songs, but in whole. A rating between 1 and 5, at least. 

For example I want to rate every song I've listened to know - I disliked or liked it. Heard it or not. It's not binary thing:

"-1" means not liked,

"0" - not listened to

"1" - liked. 

I often switch between different playlists and how do I supposed to find out what song was last? Deleting every disliked song from playlist? It's a pain. I don't believe replacing some boolean type variable (like\not like) to shortint type variable in databases would be such expence in development. You don't need to rewrite suggestion engine - just look for rating below 2 or higher than 2: "1" rating by all means is "I will not listen to this anymore". 

It irritates me every time not to have this feature: I don't see which song in suggestions is disliked by me and also I have to EDIT MY PLAYLISTS WITH EVERY LISTENED SONG - deleting every not liked song from playlists. And I doomed to meet songs I don't like in suggestions every time.

Why Apple Music (1-5 stars rating) and Google Music (personal like\dislike) did it, but Spotify not? 

Why this feature is present even in offline player like Foobar2000 and not in most popular musical service? 

P.S.: You can also implement rating options just like in PowerAMP on Android: there is switch between like\dislike and 1-5 star rating systems. 

dsantanac

It is posible to add a Five Star Rating system rather than the simple "like" button ?  (as an optional way to tell the app that i have diferent preferences about valorized songs). Or maybe keeping the like button and add this mecanism as a "advanced preference" only for personal use?

It would be very useful in order to create customized lists.

jchau_

Hope spotify looks into this idea again. It's been 9 years now ...

mrfart

They’re never gonna do this. I hoped for years, but it’s not in their interest to let you curate your music. It would make you less dependent of their algorithms. 

eule_7834

https://community.spotify.com/t5/App-Features/Song-tagging-and-dynamic-playlists-for-Spotify/m-p/537...

This solves the problem. See also the comments on how to get it to work on Mac (requires a VM though).

Allows rating of songs. I have been using this for many months, and am very happy with it. I even often rate e.g. 3.5 stars (half stars). I then generate playlists that contain all songs ranging from 4.0 to 5.0, for example. I also tag some songs with e.g. "electronic", --> playlist "electronic, at minimum 3.5 starts" etc etc.

Like I mentioned, I have talked to the author, he is doing great work and has improved the app a bit over time.

Bonus tip: Drag a tag (rating, genre, ...) to the play area to add it to a currently playing song. Drag again to remove!

The playlist generator takes some time to learn, but it's NOT difficult. check out the help pages.